This Recipe includes
|Olive oil – use extra-virgin olive oil for a smoother pesto, but regular olive oil will work as well.|
|Basil – 2 big bouquets of basil leaves, torn into pieces|
|Crushed garlic – for plenty of flavor|
|(Optional) Pine nuts – for a bit of crunch and flavor to replace the parmesan cheese.|
Why we love it
Pesto sauce recipes usually call for parmesan cheese, but if you are allergic to dairy or simply don’t have it at home, you can still enjoy the taste of a homemade pesto.
This basil pesto sauce is made from a variety of plant-based ingredients with an emphasis on fresh herbs. Without any chemical additives, this lovely pesto sauce can be used in pasta, as a sandwich spread or even in a wrap or on a pizza.
It is inspired by the French pistou sauce, which is very similar to pesto, but doesn’t include parmesan. Instead, I have included crushed pine nuts which give it a similar texture. But I have made it without pine nuts, and it tastes just as creamy and delicious.
What to serve it with?
Pesto sauce can serve as a topping or accompaniment for dishes like pastas, baked chicken, or with a side of steak. It can be a bit strong for fish dishes as it can overwhelm them, so use in moderation.
How to store it?
This dairy-free pesto sauce can easily be kept in a refrigerator. Use virgin olive oil if you intend to freeze it and store the pesto sauce in an airtight glass jar.
Place it in small containers in the freezer as it will spoil if you try to unfreeze and refreeze it. In order to defrost, place in the fridge for about a day to let it defrost naturally.
Basil Pesto sauce without dairy
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 9 cl 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 2 big bouquets of basil leaves torn into pieces (2 cups)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Optional 1 soup spoon of crushed pine nuts
- Wash the basil and peel the garlic.
- Crush the basil and garlic in a mortar with a pestle until it turns into a purée. (Alternatively, put it into a blender.) `
- In a bowl, mix the crushed basil, garlic, and olive oil until you make a smooth sauce.
- Add in the salt, pepper, and (optional) pine nuts, as you mix and whisk.
- Set aside once the pesto sauce is smooth and serve when ready.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other delicious sauce recipes that make you can easily. Bon appétit!