This Recipe includes
|Puff pastry – two puff pastry crusts to use as a base and a topping (pâte feuilletée)|
|Pesto sauce – any type of homemade or store-bought pesto sauce, green pesto or pesto rosso (red pesto)|
|Egg – to coat the top layer|
|(Optional) Sesame seeds – for decoration|
Why we love it
For fingerfoods with a twist, this pesto puff pastry pinwheel makes an elegant appetizer or snack. Based on the French tarte soliel meaning “sun tart”, it looks so impressive, one would assume it is difficult to make.
But with a few simple steps, and in under 30 minutes, this pesto puff pastry pinwheel (try saying that 3 times fast!) is ready to be munched on as a pre-dinner snack or appetizer.
I’m using homemade pesto rosso inside, but you can also use green basil pesto or any store-bought version. You can also use a garlic greek yogurt sauce or shredded cheese as a filling depending on you have on hand.
What to serve with it?
Can you prepare it in advance?
This puff pastry pinwheel can easily be prepared at least a few hours in advance. Just keep it at room temperature on the countertop and heat it up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Pesto puff pastry pinwheel (Tarte Soleil)
- 2 puff pastry crust bases
- 25 cl 1 cup of pesto sauce
- 1 egg
- Optional 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- Spread the first puff pastry crust dough in a large baking pan.
- Using a small spoon, spread the pesto sauce on the puff pastry dough, leaving plenty of room along the edges.
- Moisten gently the edges of 1st pastry dough with some water, using your fingers.
- Carefully place the 2nd puff pastry dough on top of the 1st puff pastry, enclosing the pesto sauce in the middle.
- Roll and enclose the edges together to form a crust, like you would for pizza dough.
- Place a glass on top in the center.
- Away from the glass, using a sharp knife, cut the pastry dough into 4 equal quarters.
- Then cut each quarter in half, then each eighth in half, to make 16 equal strips.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Remove the glass and start to twist strips twice keeping the ends pinched together all the way around to make a pinwheel.
- Crack the egg open in a bowl, and using a pastry brush, lightly paint the egg across the pinwheel.
- (Optional) Sprinkle some sesame seeds across the pinwheel.
- Place the puff pastry pinwheel in the oven for 20 minutes or until the dough rises and it looks cooked.
- Serve while warm.
Other appetizer recipes
- Pork belly bites on gyro
- French deviled eggs
- Air fryer loaded nachos
- Baked brie in puff pastry
- Air fryer baked camembert
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic starters and appetizers. Bon appétit!