This Recipe includes
|Flour – any type of flour such as all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour.|
|Milk – semi-skimmed or full milk is recommended, as skim milk will be too watery|
|Eggs – normal medium-sized eggs|
|Grated cheese – you can add any type of hard cheese such as parmesan, cheddar, gruyère, etc.|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Pinch of grated nutmeg|
|Butter – for flavor|
|(Optional) Pinch of piment d’espelette or cayenne pepper|
|Salt and pepper|
Why we love it
When it comes to comforting snacks, it doesn’t get better than cheese puffs. The only problem is that cheese puffs are usually a store-bought, meaning they’re loaded with preservatives and artificial ingredients.
Homemade baked cheese puffs that is not only healthier than the store-bought version, but also rather easy to make and full of flavor. Which lets everyone happily indulge in more of them, of course!
What to serve with it?
If you are having a party, the cheese puffs can easily accompany any finger foods, or plates like charcuterie, cheese, or crudité platters.
How to store it?
You can freeze the cheese puffs, but it is best to let them cool first and then place them in an airtight container. To defrost them, place the frozen cheese puffs in an oven at 285°F (140 °C) for around 15-20 minutes.
- 1 cup of flour (150g)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of grated cheese (eg. parmesan, cheddar, gruyère)
- 80g of butter
- 1/2 cup of milk (12.5cl)
- 1/2 cup of water (12.5cl)
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt and pepper
- (Optional) Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Cut the butter into small pieces
- Put the water, milk, and butter in a saucepan and warm for a few minutes.
- Once off the heat, add the flour to the bowl with the water and melted butter and bat vigorously till smooth.
- Let the mixture cool for a few minutes.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing well.
- Add the grated cheese, nutmeg, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to the mixture.
- Mix thoroughly until it has a doughy consistency.
- Pre-warm the oven at 400°F (200°C).
- Make small round balls with the dough using a cookie scoop or your hands, and place on a lined baking tray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 173mgSodium: 279mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic appetizer recipes that are easy to make. Bon appétit!