This Recipe includes
- Mixed greens – you can use any sort of mixed greens like arugula, mâche, frisée, chicory, romain lettuce, baby spinach, etc.
- Red apple – I recommend red apples as they are slightly sweeter and less citrusy
- Red onion – for a bit of heat
- (Optional) Walnuts – for a bit of crunch
For the dressing:
- Balsamic vinegar – for that sweet tangy taste.
- Olive oil – melds well with the balsamic vinegar to make it less sweet
- Feta cheese – for a light salty taste
- Salt and pepper – for a bit more flavor
- (Optional) Cayenne pepper – to add a bit of zing to the juices from the apple
Why we love it
If you are looking for something different, this apple feta salad with red onion is an easy dish that will give your tastebuds a treat, while still being quite healthy.
It has a nice balance of sweet and savory and goes great with a dish like grilled chicken or baked pork. With salty feta as the star ingredient, together with a crisp sweet apple, tangy red onion and fresh herbs, you’re looking at a dish that’s bursting with flavour.
It is a healthy and filling meal that you can make in 10 minutes or less, and can be served at just about any occasion. From a packed lunch to a starter at a dinner party, this delectable salad will not be out of place.
It is also the perfect side dish to bring to a summer potluck or barbecue out in the sun.
Frequently asked questions
1. What to serve with it?
Apple feta salad makes a wonderful salad to serve as a starter and get the tastebuds ready for more. I would recommend serving it with something light like air fryer lemon pepper chicken drumsticks or this instant pot lemon garlic scallops pasta.
2. Can you prepare it in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the apple feta salad and the balsamic vinaigrette a few hours in advance, but don’t add the dressing into the salad. The salad will become heavy and wilt with the dressing on top, so it is best to keep them separately.
Keep them separate in the fridge, and when ready to serve remove both from the fridge about 20 minutes in advance so that they get to room temperature. Then add the balsamic dressing onto the salad a few minutes before you are ready to serve.
If you like this recipe
- 5oz bag of mixed greens
- 1 red apple
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 200g (3/4 cup) of feta cheese
- 1/2 red onion
- pinch of salt and pepper
- (Optional) 2 tablespoons of walnuts
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, prepare the dressing by mixing the olive oil and balsamic vinegar (and optional cayenne pepper), along with the salt and pepper.
- Chop the feta, red onion, and apples into small pieces.
- In a large salad bowl, combine mixed greens with all the ingredients including the dressing.
- Toss the salad to make sure that the dressing coats evenly.
- Serve when ready.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other delicious salad recipes that are easy to make. Bon appétit!