This Recipe includes
|Chickpeas – I recommend canned chickpeas as they are already cooked, and a great way to prepare a salad quickly|
|Feta cheese – any type of feta will do, from greek feta, crumbled feta, danish feta, etc.|
|Boneless skinless chicken – fresh chicken that can be baked or cooked quickly.|
|Spinach – baby spinach or regular spinach shredded into small portions|
|Red onion – sliced or cubed|
Spices and flavoring ingredients for the dressing:
|Balsamic vinegar – for that sweet tangy taste.|
|Olive oil – melds well with the balsamic vinegar to make it less sweet|
|Garlic – garlic powder or flakes|
|Paprika – for a bit of heat|
|(Optional) Cayenne pepper – for a bit more heat|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
Why we love it
This chickpea and chicken salad is so quick and easy to make, and it’s perfect for summer potlucks and picnics. Now you could make it without the chicken, but adding a few pieces of shredded boneless chicken makes it a meal in itself (especially if you have leftover chicken from the day before). Just add some rosé wine and you have a feast!
This is one of my favorite salads, especially on days when I don’t feel like a lot of cooking. It’s unique, flavorful, and healthy. And the salad itself (minus the toppings) can be made a day ahead.
What to serve with it?
Chicken and chickpea salad can be eaten on its own for a light and healthy lunch or dinner, but you can also serve it as a starter or side dish. Pair it with some meatball burritos, a side salad, or some flammkuchen.
How to store it?
You can prepare this chicken and chickpea salad a day or so in advance, and leave it in the fridge.
In addition, except for the sauce and the feta cheese, the rest of the ingredients can be frozen. Place it in glass containers in the freezer until you are ready to eat it, and it should last for about a month or so.
- 2 cups of canned chickpeas
- 1 cup of fresh spinach leaves
- 15 oz of boneless skinless chicken (2-3 medium size pieces)
- 1 small red onion
- 8 oz of feta cheese (1 block)
For the sauce
- 4-5 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- pinch of garlic flakes
- pinch of paprika
- (Optional) pinch of cayenne pepper or hot sauce
- Cut the chicken into small bite-size pieces for faster cooking.
- Grill the chicken at medium to high heat on the stove for at least 20-25 minutes until cooked. (You can also use a pressure cooker.)
- Open the cans of chickpeas and place into a serving bowl that is microwavable.
- Wash the spinach leaves and shred into small pieces and place in the bowl.
- Mix the chickpeas and spinach and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Chop the onion and feta cheese into small pieces and add to the serving bowl.
- Once the chicken is cooked add to the bowl and mix all together.
- In a smaller bowl, combine all the ingredients to make the sauce.
- Stir the sauce into the salad serving bowl and mix throughly.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 621Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 869mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 46g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other chicken recipes
- Orange chicken stir fry with mushrooms
- Oven baked BBQ chicken drumsticks
- Oven baked chicken and brussels sprouts
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic salad recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!