This Recipe includes
|Chicken – fresh boneless chicken, cut into strips|
|Mushrooms – fresh white button or cremini (brown), or button mushrooms.|
|Green peas – fresh green peas|
|Carrots – fresh carrots, chopped into chunks|
|Red onion – for a bit of heat|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Orange juice – unsweetened orange juice to infuse into the chicken and vegetables|
|Orange zest – for flavor and decoration|
|Soy sauce – low-sodium soy sauce to control the amount of salt|
|Ginger – ground ginger spice for flavor|
|Olive oil – to cook the garlic|
|2 teaspoons of minced garlic, but you can also use garlic powder.|
|Brown sugar – for a touch of sweet to counteract the soy sauce|
|Parsley – for flavor and decoration|
|Chicken stock – liquid chicken stock or a stock cube and water.|
|Cornstarch – to thicken up the sauce|
|(Optional) Sriracha – a spicy sauce to add some heat|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
Why we love it
For an easy weeknight dinner, this orange chicken stir fry with mushrooms is one of those delicious meal that you are sure to love.
The tangy sweetness of the orange sauce pairs perfectly with the earthy, meaty flavors of the chicken and mushrooms. Added to that, the nutrient-rich carrots and peas which give an extra burst of texture and flavor.
One of the great things about this orange chicken stir fry is how easy it is to prepare. All you need is a wok or large frying pan, some basic ingredients, and about 20 minutes.
Simply mix together some orange juice, soy sauce, herbs and spices to create the sauce, then toss in your chicken, mushrooms, carrots, and peas.
Making the slurry to thicken the recipe is arguably the most difficult step for novice cooks. However, all that is required is to combine a little cornstarch with water before adding it to the stew.
Cook everything over high heat, stirring constantly, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
The chicken is a great source of protein, while the mushrooms, carrots, and peas are also packed with vitamins and minerals. This dish is also relatively low in calories, making it a healthy choice for dinner.
What to serve with it?
This orange chicken stir fry with mushrooms and carrots goes very well with pilaf rice or plain rice. (I usually have my rice cooker going at the same time.)
How to store it?
This orange chicken with mushrooms should keep quite well, you can easily put aside portions in a container and put in the freezer.
You may find that the green peas get a little mushy, but it will taste just as good. Let the dish cool for about 30 minutes or so, and then place in an airtight glass container.
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
- 2 pounds of chicken (approx. 3-4 pieces of chicken breast)
- 1 cup of fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 medium sized carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup of green peas
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
Orange soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- 1/2 cup of orange juice (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- (Optional) 1 tablespoon of sriracha
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Cut the chicken into strips or 1-inch chunks.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, chicken and ginger into the pan and cook for 7 minutes at medium-high.
- Chop all the vegetables into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Add the mushrooms and carrots and any additional vegetables into the fry pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients for the orange soy sauce in a bowl, and blend throughly.
- Add the sauce mixture to the chicken stir fry and mix.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and the water completely to make a slurry.
- Add the slurry to the orange chicken stir fry and let it thicken for about 2 minutes at medium heat.
- Taste to add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 493Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 171mgSodium: 590mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 45g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other Chicken recipes
- Instant pot Sesame oil chicken
- Instant pot Tandoori chicken
- Instant pot Coconut chicken curry with peppers
- Air fryer paprika chicken
- Air fryer chicken tikka
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!