This Recipe includes
- Chicken – any type of chicken pieces such as thigh, leg or boneless chicken can be used. You can also use frozen chicken, as the Instant pot will naturally increase the warming up time.
- Broccoli – I recommend fresh broccoli for flavor and appearance. If you use frozen broccoli, add it to the Instant pot at the same time as the chicken, although it may soften and disintegrate into the sauce. (It will still taste great though!)
- Sesame seeds – for flavor and decoration
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
- Sesame oil – for flavor
- Soy sauce – low-sodium soy sauce to control the amount of salt
- Garlic – 2 teaspoons of minced garlic, but you can use garlic powder if you are in a hurry.
- Ginger – ground ginger spice for flavor
- Olive oil – to cook the garlic
- Brown sugar – for a touch of sweet to counteract the soy sauce
- Beef stock – liquid beef stock adds a lot of flavor, but you can also use plain water and a stock cube.
- Cornstarch – to thicken up the sauce
Why we love it
There is nothing like a good Asian takeout. Except when you are trying to eat healthier, that is. While there are plenty of restaurants serving up delicious meals, this delicious sesame oil chicken recipe prepared in the Instant pot will give you all the flavor, without all the additives.
The traditional recipe requires a few ingredients like rice wine that may be difficult to find, but fortunately there are alternatives that are easier to find and just as delicious.
Perhaps the most mysterious part of the recipe to newer cooks is making the slurry to thicken it up. But it is just mixing a bit of cornstarch in with water and then adding it to the stew.
The recipe takes only 25 minutes to make, resulting in a tasty, flavorful meal that pairs well with rice or noodles. Light and flavorful, this easy weeknight dish is one that the whole family will love.
Frequently asked questions
1. What to serve with it?
Sesame oil chicken stew goes very well with pilaf rice or plain rice. (I usually have my rice cooker going at the same time.)
But it can also be served with vermicelli noodles, ramen noodles, or even egg noodles.
2. Can you freeze it?
Yes, this sesame oil chicken stew should keep quite well, you can easily put aside portions in a container and put in the freezer. The broccoli may get a little mushy, but it will taste just as good. Let the dish cool, and then place in an airtight glass container.
If you like this recipe
- 3 pounds of chicken (approx. 5-6 pieces of chicken breast)
- 2 cups of fresh broccoli
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds (for decoration)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 cup of beef stock
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Add the olive oil, garlic, chicken and ginger into the instant pot and sauté for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and the water completely to make a slurry.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the broccoli and slurry), and set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once the countdown has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Open the Instant pot and stir in the slurry and the broccoli.
- Press the Sauté button again for 5 minutes to let the sauce thicken.
- Let the chicken in brown sauce rest for 10 minutes on the Keep Warm function.
- Taste to add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 701Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 256mgSodium: 539mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 68g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other simple Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy to make. Bon appétit!