Instant Pot Orange chicken with broccoli
This delicious orange chicken with broccoli recipe can be made quickly and easily in the Instant pot that is better and healthier than takeout.
This Recipe includes
|Chicken – any type of chicken pieces such as thigh, leg or boneless chicken can be used.|
|Broccoli – I recommend fresh broccoli for flavor and appearance.|
|Orange juice – unsweetened orange juice to infuse into the chicken and broccoli|
|Orange zest – for flavor and decoration|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Soy sauce – low-sodium soy sauce to control the amount of salt|
|Ginger – ground ginger spice for flavor|
|Olive oil – to cook the garlic|
|2 teaspoons of minced garlic, but you can also use garlic powder.|
|Brown sugar – for a touch of sweet to counteract the soy sauce|
|Parsley – for flavor and decoration|
|Chicken stock – liquid chicken stock or a stock cube and water.|
|Cornstarch – to thicken up the sauce|
|(Optional) Sriracha – a spicy sauce to add some heat|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- You use frozen chicken if you wish, as the Instant pot will naturally increase the warming up time.
- I’m using fresh broccoli and adding it into the Instant pot after the chicken, so it doesn’t overcook. If you use frozen broccoli, add it to the Instant pot at the same time as the chicken, although it may soften and disintegrate into the sauce. (It will still taste great though!)
Why we love it
Orange chicken and broccoli is one of the popular recipes in Asia. With its medley of flavors, it is a dish that everyone can get behind, even young children who don’t always like to eat their veggies.
Packed with protein and vegetables, it has plenty of wow-factor. It’s a great way to spice up a weeknight dinner or a quick lunch or weekend lunch with friends. I love it so much, it is part of our regular dinner rotation.
With the Instant pot, it doesn’t require any special skills to create, just put all the ingredients in the Instant pot and cook. Perhaps the most tricky part of the recipe to new cooks is making the slurry to thicken it up. But it is just mixing a bit of cornstarch in with water and then adding it to the stew.
And compared to restaurant take-out, it is definitely healthier and perhaps even more delicious without all those added preservatives.
What to serve with it?
Orange chicken with broccoli goes very well with pilaf rice or plain rice. (I usually have my rice cooker going at the same time.)
But it can also be served with vermicelli noodles, ramen noodles, or even egg noodles.
How to store it?
This orange chicken with broccoli should keep quite well, you can easily put aside portions in a container and put in the freezer. The broccoli may get a little mushy, but it will taste just as good. Let the dish cool, and then place in an airtight glass container.
Instant Pot Orange chicken with broccoli
An easy orange chicken recipe, made in the Instant pot with added dose of veggies.
- 3 pounds of chicken (approx. 5-6 pieces of chicken breast)
- 2 cups of fresh broccoli
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- 1/2 cup of orange juice (unsweetened)
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- (Optional) 1 tablespoon of sriracha
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Add the olive oil, garlic, chicken and ginger into the instant pot and sauté for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and the water completely to make a slurry.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the broccoli and slurry), and set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 14 minutes.
- Once the countdown has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Open the Instant pot and stir in the slurry and the broccoli.
- Press the Sauté button again for 5 minutes to let the sauce thicken.
- Let the orange chicken rest for 10 minutes on the Keep Warm function.
- Taste to add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 699Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 256mgSodium: 668mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 68g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other Chicken recipes:
- Chicken pie with mushrooms and leeks
- Oven baked BBQ chicken drumsticks
- Air fryer lemon pepper chicken drumsticks
- Chicken and brussels sprouts in the oven
- Air fryer chicken tikka
If you enjoyed that, check out our other simple Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy to make. Bon appétit!