This Recipe includes
|Chicken – you can use any type of fresh chicken, but I’m using drumsticks in this recipe.|
|Green beans – fresh or frozen green beans. (Trim the stem end of the green beans, if it has not already been removed.)|
|BBQ sauce – you can use any type of bbq sauce you have.|
|Soy sauce – soy sauce, or tamari sauce for gluten-free|
|Garlic powder or flakes for the spice rub|
|Red chilli powder – for that lovely red color|
|Onion flakes or powder – to reduce the sweetness|
|Fresh or dried coriander, also known as cilantro|
|Dried basil – for flavor|
|(Optional) Cayenne pepper – if you like a mildly spicy flavor|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- If using frozen chicken, let it thaw for at least 45 minutes beforehand.
- I like Kraft Hickory Smoke Barbecue Sauce or any type of BBQ Sauce which is less sweet, but it really comes down to personal preference.
Why we love it
When looking for a bit of comfort food, there is nothing like a good BBQ chicken. And to make sure there are enough for everyone, there is nothing like serving up a batch of chicken drumsticks. Especially if it is game night or a picnic potluck.
But we don’t have to wait for a special occasion to make these bbq baked drumsticks, they are quick enough and versatile enough for a regular weeknight dinner.
Now, just slathering on the bbq sauce will leave them a little dried out and too sweet. Instead I like to marinate them for a few minutes before baking and add the bbq sauce at the 1/2 way point so that the chicken gets a chance to cook properly.
I also like to toss a vegetable in like green beans to cook with the bbq chicken, at the same time as the sauce goes on. Putting the beans in at the halfway point usually means that it won’t overcook or burn.
Chicken and vegetables in one dish, to make for an easy clean-up! If you prefer, you can also prepare these drumsticks in the air fryer following the recipe here.
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
These oven-baked bbq chicken drumsticks can be prepared in advance, and can be eaten both cold or warm. Keep everything in airtight glass containers in the fridge until ready to eat.
If you want to freeze this chicken recipe, I recommend doing so before the chicken is cooked. Place the marinade and the chicken drumsticks in a large freezer bag, and lay the drumsticks flat in the freezer (not lying on top of each other).
Oven baked BBQ chicken drumsticks with green beans
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup of fresh green beans*
- 1 cup of bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- Optional 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the spices together (excluding the BBQ sauce).
- Add the chicken into the bowl and rub each one generously with the spice mixture.
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to allow it to marinate.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven for 350°F (180°C)
- Place the chicken in a cooking tray and cook for 25 minutes, flipping the chicken over every 10 minutes or so.
- Take the tray out of the oven, and carefully cover the chicken with bbq sauce using a spoon to rub it in.
- Add the fresh green beans into the pan and let the sauces from the chicken cover them.
- Place the baking tray back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve while warm.
Other Chicken recipes:
- Chicken pie with mushrooms and leeks
- Instant pot sun-dried tomato chicken stew
- Air fryer Paprika chicken
- Instant pot chicken and mushroom coconut curry
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can prepare easily. Bon appétit!