This Recipe includes
|Chicken – you can use any type of fresh chicken, but I’m using drumsticks in this recipe.|
|Brussels sprouts – fresh or frozen brussels sprouts.|
|Garlic powder or flakes for the spice rub|
|Red chilli powder – for that lovely red color|
|Onion flakes or powder – to reduce the sweetness|
|Fresh or dried coriander, also known as cilantro|
|Dried basil – for flavor|
|(Optional) Cayenne pepper – if you like a mildly spicy flavor|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- If using frozen chicken, let it thaw for at least 45 minutes beforehand.
- Frozen brussels sprouts tend to have a slightly milder flavor than the fresh ones, if that is what you prefer.
Why we love it
This oven-baked chicken and brussels sprouts recipe is so simple and delicious, it’s one of my favorite healthy dinners to make on busy weeknights. It’s also a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies.
If you are tired of beans or peas, a change of pace with some brussels sprouts may be just what you are looking for. Healthy and nutritious, this one-pan meal is all you need to please the whole family.
Now, brussels sprouts sometimes have a reputation for being slightly bitter. In this recipe however, the brussels sprouts get cooked in the juices from chicken, taking them to a whole new level.
With a few simple ingredients and a few minutes of prep work, you can have this hearty dish on the table.
What to serve with it?
This one-pan chicken and brussels sprouts dish is filled with protein and nutrients, and can be served by itself. You can also serve it with plain white rice, pilaf rice, or even quinoa.
How to store it?
If you do want to prepare this chicken and brussels sprouts dish ahead of time, I recommend placing the chicken and brussels sprouts separately in glass containers.
The brussels sprouts can become a little mushy in the fridge, so I recommend putting it back in the oven to heat up for around 10 minutes at 390°F (195°C).
Oven baked Chicken with brussels sprouts
- 8 pieces of chicken
- 2 cups of brussels sprouts
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- Optional 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the spices together.
- Add the chicken into the bowl and rub each one generously with the spice mixture.
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to allow it to marinate.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven for 400°F (200°C)
- Place the chicken in a cooking tray and cook for 20 minutes, flipping the chicken over every 10 minutes or so.
- Trim off the ends of the brussels sprouts and remove any brown outer leaves. Cut in half if you wish.
- Take the tray carefully out of the oven, and add in the brussels sprouts. Add some of the juices from the chicken over the vegetables.
- Place the baking tray back in the oven and cook for another 20 minutes or until the chicken looks golden brown and cooked.
- Serve while warm.
Other Chicken recipes:
- Chicken pie with mushrooms and leeks
- Instant pot sun-dried tomato chicken stew
- Air fryer Paprika chicken
- Instant pot chicken and mushroom coconut curry
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!