This Recipe includes
|Chicken – you can use any type of chicken, I’m using thighs|
|Garlic powder or flakes for the spice rub|
|Paprika – smoked paprika powder.|
|Red chilli powder for that lovely red color|
|Onion powder – for a sharp and fresh taste.|
|Dried coriander; you can use fresh coriander (cilantro) as well.|
|Dried basil – for a slight peppery taste.|
|Turmeric, traditional ingredient for flavor|
|(Optional) Cayenne pepper, if you like things really spicy|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- If using frozen chicken, let it defrost naturally for 1 hour beforehand. I’m using chicken thighs and drumsticks which I find more flavorful, but you can use boneless chicken as well.
- If you don’t have one of the spices listed above, just leave it out as the flavors of the rest will compensate.
Why we love it
If you’re a fan of Indian cuisine, then you’ll love this easy chicken recipe, which is full of flavor and spices. With a combination of herbs and spices, the chicken turns a juicy and delicious golden-brown when cooked in the oven.
This protein-filled dish doesn’t use much oils, letting the natural juices of the chicken do the work for a healthier recipe.
It is an easy dish to prepare and pop in the oven for those busy weeknight meals, when you are trying to get dinner on the table.
What to serve with it?
This Indian-spiced chicken can be served with just about any side like a naan and garlic yogurt side to bring out all the flavor. Another option is to serve it with these sautéed garlic potatoes or these Instant pot garlic mashed potatoes.
You can also serve it with a rice or pasta dish, such as this burrata pasta with sun-dried tomatoes.
How to store it?
This Indian-spiced chicken can easily be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge for a few days. Place it in an airtight glass container so that it doesn’t dry out.
If you want to freeze it, I recommend doing so before the chicken is cooked. Place the marinade and the chicken drumsticks in a large freezer bag, and lay the drumsticks flat in the freezer (not lying on top of each other).
Indian spiced chicken thighs
- 4-6 chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 lemon
- Optional 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the spices together.
- Add the chicken thighs into the bowl and rub each one generously with the spice mixture.
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to allow it to marinate.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven for 400°F (200°C)
- Place the chicken in a cooking tray and cook for 35 minutes, flipping the chicken over every 10 minutes or until the chicken looks golden brown and cooked.
- Serve while warm, with a slice of lemon.
Other Chicken recipes:
- Chicken pie with mushrooms and leeks
- Instant pot sun-dried tomato chicken stew
- Chicken and brussels sprouts in the oven
- Instant pot chicken and mushroom coconut curry
- Air fryer garlic chicken drumsticks
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!