This Recipe includes
- Chicken – you can use any type of chicken, if using frozen chicken, let it defrost naturally for 1 hour beforehand. I’m using chicken thighs and drumsticks.
- Garlic – garlic powder is the easiest to use to rub into the chicken, but you could use crushed garlic as well.
- Paprika – smoked paprika powder.
- Red chilli powder – for that lovely red color.
- Onion powder – for a sharp and fresh taste.
- Dried coriander – can use fresh coriander or parsley as well.
- Dried basil – for a slight peppery taste.
- Turmeric – traditional ingredient for flavor.
- (Optional) Cayenne pepper – add based on personal preference.
Why we love it
If you’re a fan of Indian cuisine, then you’ll love this easy chicken recipe, which is full of flavor and spices. With a combination of herbs and spices, the chicken turns a juicy and delicious golden-brown when cooked in the oven.
This protein-filled dish doesn’t use much oils, letting the natural juices of the chicken do the work for a healthier recipe.
It is an easy dish to prepare and pop in the oven for those busy weeknight meals, when you are trying to get dinner on the table.
Frequently asked questions
1. What to serve with it?
This Indian-spiced chicken can be served with just about any side like a naan and garlic yogurt side to bring out all the flavor. Another option is to serve it with these sautéed garlic potatoes or these Instant pot garlic mashed potatoes.
You can also serve it with a rice or pasta dish, such as this burrata pasta with sun-dried tomatoes.
2. Can you prepare it in advance?
Yes, this Indian-spiced chicken can easily be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge for a few days. Place it in an airtight glass container so that it doesn’t dry out.
If you want to freeze it, I recommend doing so before the chicken is cooked. Place the marinade and the chicken drumsticks in a large freezer bag, and lay the drumsticks flat in the freezer (not lying on top of each other).
If you like this recipe
- 4-6 chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 lemon
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the spices together.
- Add the chicken thighs into the bowl and rub each one generously with the spice mixture.
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to allow it to marinate.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven for 400°F (200°C)
- Place the chicken in a cooking tray and cook for 35 minutes, flipping the chicken over every 10 minutes or until the chicken looks golden brown and cooked.
- Serve while warm, with a slice of lemon.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 250mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 47g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!