This Recipe includes
|Cauliflower – fresh cauliflower, chopped into florets.|
|Grated cheese – cheddar, gruyère, mozzarella, or emmental cheese.|
|Mozzarella – plain mozzarella chopped into pieces.|
|Bacon – bacon chopped into small pieces, or pancetta|
|Heavy cream – plain heavy cream or crème fraiche|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Garlic – crushed garlic powder or flakes|
|Parley – fresh or dried parsley|
|Onion powder – onion powder for seasoning|
|Nutmeg – pinch of freshly grated nutmeg for flavor|
- If using frozen cauliflower, let them defrost for 30 minutes in advance.
- Add the cheese at the 1/2 way point of the cooking process so that the cheese does not burn.
Why we love it
The traditional French recipe for a cheesy casserole uses potatoes, but if you are looking for a version that is lighter, this cauliflower bacon cheese casserole is sure to hit the spot.
The key is to not add the cheese too early. I like to let the cauliflower and bacon cook in the creamy sauce and herbs, and then about 10 minutes before the end, add the cheese.
This way the cauliflower and bacon is already cooked, and it avoids the cheese overcooking and becoming burnt.
Once you add the cheese, just stick it back in the oven for around 10-15 minutes until the cheese melts and turns a gooey golden color.
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
You can easily prepare this creamy cauliflower bacon cheese casserole in advance, and even keep it overnight in the fridge. Keep it in airtight glass containers in the fridge, and take it the next day for a packed lunch.
I wouldn’t recommend freezing it however, as the cheese may not do well in the freezer.
Cauliflower bacon cheese bake
- 3 cups of chopped cauliflower florets
- 2 cups of chopped bacon or pancetta
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese cheddar, gruyere, emmental, etc.
- 1/2 cup of chopped mozzarella approx 125g
- 1 cup of heavy cream or crème fraiche
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the bacon into small slices and the cauliflower into small florets.
- Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C).
- In a large casserole dish, add the cauliflower and bacon and add the all the spices on top, along with the cream. (Do not add the cheese.)
- Lightly mix so that the spices cover the cauliflower florets and bacon.
- Place the casserole in the oven for about 35 minutes.
- Take the tray carefully out of the oven, and add in the cheese on top.
- Place the casserole dish back in the oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until the cheese looks melted.
- Serve while warm.
Other cauliflower recipes
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!