This Recipe includes
- Mushroom – any type of fresh or frozen mushrooms such as cremini or button mushrooms, or shiitake, portobello, etc. If possible, try to use a mix of mushrooms.
- Potatoes – any type of medium-sized potatoes to make the soup thicker (eg. yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoes).
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
- Garlic – crushed cloves garlic, but you can also use garlic powder or flakes if you are in a hurry
- Ginger powder – for flavor
- Stock broth – vegetable or chicken liquid stock for flavor, but you can also use water. Another option is to use water with a vegetable cube stock.
- Olive oil – for sautéing the garlic
- Sherry – for a touch of sweet and sour. Alternative, you can replace this with apple cider vinegar.
- Dried basil – for herb flavor and decoration
- (Optional) Sriracha sauce – for a bit of spice
- (Optional) Heavy cream – any type of plain heavy cream or crême fraïche
Why we love it
Mushroom potato soup is a delicious but hearty comfort food that can be served as a meal in itself. I love to eat it for lunch with a grilled wrap or panini. It’s also an easy recipe to double and freeze in batches for busy nights when you don’t want to cook.
Mushrooms are one of the most versatile ingredients in cooking. They can be used as a meat substitute, in stews, soups and salads. They are quite high in protein and, if you love the taste of mushrooms, an easy go-to ingredient for any meal.
I particularly love this mushroom potato recipe since it is so easy to make in the Instant Pot. It uses potatoes to thicken up the soup rather than heavy cream, since potatoes are rich in vitamins and dietary fiber.
If you choose however, you can of course add a bit of heavy cream for flavor, or even some sour cream if you are looking for a vegan version. You can serve it with a fresh salad and some fresh bread to make a meal out of it.
Frequently asked questions
1. What to serve with it?
This mushroom potato soup can be served with a light salad, like this spinach caesar salad or this wheat berry salad with feta and cherry tomatoes. You can also serve it as a starter with perhaps a bacon and mushroom quiche or chicken caesar wrap.
2. Can you freeze it?
Yes, you can make this mushroom potato soup in advance, and it is possible to freeze it. You can easily put aside portions in a container and put in the freezer.
Let it cool, and then place in a single serving airtight glass container. (Use a single serving container, because bacteria will build up if you try to freeze and reheat multiple times.)
If you like this recipe
- 4 cups of chopped mushrooms (cremini or button mushrooms, or shiitake, portobello, etc.)
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 medium-sized potato
- 6 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup sherry (alternative: 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- pinch of dried basil for decoration
- pinch of salt and pepper
- (Optional) 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- (Optional) 4 tablespoons of heavy cream
- Wash and peel the potato, and cut into quarters.
- Wipe any dirt off of the mushrooms, and chop into quarters.
- In the instant pot, sauté the garlic in the olive oil for a couple of minutes.
- Place the rest of the ingredients (except the basil and heavy cream) in the Instant Pot and set on High Pressure for 15 minutes.
- When done, let it natural release and cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Using an electric hand blender, mix until smooth.
- Scoop the soup into your serving bowls and season with a pinch of dried basil and/or 1 tablespoon of heavy cream in each bowl.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic starter recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!