This Recipe includes
|Tomatoes – any type of tomatoes will do, such as campari, roma or plum tomatoes.|
|Olive oil – traditional ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine to cook the tomatoes.|
|Garlic – you can use crushed garlic or garlic powder if you are in a hurry.|
|Parsley – fresh parsley is best, but you can use frozen or dried parsley as well.|
|Oregano – dried oregano works well|
|(Optional) breadcrumbs or parmesan cheese for a gluten-free version.|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- Just about any type of tomatoes will do, such as campari, roma or plum tomatoes. You could also use smaller cherry or grape tomatoes and roast them whole. I would just recommend avoiding steak tomatoes as they are quite large, and not quite as succulent.
Why we love it
If you are wondering what to do with all those tomatoes you have in the fridge, this roasted tomato recipe is what you are looking for. A fun and easy starter, this recipe for roasted tomatoes is delicious and helps you get your daily dose of veggies in.
With a touch of garlic and parsley, roasting really concentrates the juices of the tomato and caramelizes its flavor. Rather than a sweetness, the garlic and parsley creates a tanginess that will leave the whole family wanting more.
What to serve with it?
This roasted tomatoes with garlic and parsley goes well with just about anything. Try serving it with lamb chops and a mint sauce, or quenelles and rice.
You can also serve it with a light pasta dish or a heavier salad like the salad niçoise.
How to store it?
If you would like to prepare this roasted tomatoes dish in advance, I would recommend preparing it in a bake pan and leaving it like that in the fridge.
Then when you are ready to cook them, place them in the oven and bake them directly for an extra 5-10 minutes, (instead of pre-cooking on the stove top).
Roasted tomatoes with garlic and parsley
- 4 red tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic or 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- Optional breadcrumbs
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Cut the tomatoes in half and remove some of the seeds.
- Place the tomato halves face down on a lightly oiled pan and let them cook for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the garlic, chopped parsley, salt, pepper, a pinch of oregano.
- Remove tomatoes from pan and place facing up in a casserole dish that can go to the oven.
- Add the mix on top of each half of tomatoes and then sprinkle liberally with breadcrumbs.
- Lightly oil the top of the tomatoes.
- Put a little water at the bottom of the dish and bake in the oven for 410F (210 ° C) for about 30 minutes.
- Serve while warm, 2 halves of the tomato per person.
Other tomato recipes
- Vegetarian tomato tartare
- Roasted tomatoes with garlic and parsley
- Italian marinara sauce with crushed tomatoes
- Homemade Bruschetta salsa
- Italian salsa (Salsa cruda di pomodoro)
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic starter recipes that are easy to make. Bon appétit!