This Recipe includes
|Pasta – you can use any type of pasta like penne, spaghetti, tagliatelle, or even whole wheat pasta. I’m using penne.|
|Mushrooms – white button or cremini (brown), or button mushrooms, shitake, etc.|
|Bacon – chopped bacon or pancetta|
|Parmesan – grated parmesan cheese|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Garlic powder or flakes|
|Fresh or dried parsley|
|Onion powder or flakes – for a tart taste|
|Olive oil – to cook the mushrooms and pull the sauce together with the juices from the meat.|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
Why we love it
If you love a good pasta bake, this mushroom and parmesan pasta bake recipe is one that is definitely going to hit the spot.
The combination of earthy mushrooms and rich, salty parmesan cheese is simply delicious. The flavors complement each other perfectly, and the dish is satisfying and comforting.
And with mushrooms being such a versatile ingredient, you can change up the mushrooms from time to time to vary the flavaors. From button mushrooms to more exotic varieties like shiitake or chanterelle, there is no shortage of alternatives.
With a few simple ingredients, this is one dish you can have it ready in less than an hour making it perfect for a quick and delicious meal any night of the week.
It can be enjoyed as a one-dish main course, or as a side dish to accompany meat or fish. You can also add other ingredients to the dish, such as chicken, broccoli or peas, to make it your own. In short, the perfect dish for dinner, with hopefully some leftover for lunch the next day!
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
If you do want to prepare this mushroom and parmesan pasta bake in advance, let it cool completely and place it in an airtight glass container. However, it is not a dish that freezes very well because the pasta gets soggy, so I don’t recommend it.
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
- 400g (0.9lb) of penne pasta
- 2 cups of fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups of grated parmesan cheese
- (Optional) 1 cup of chopped bacon or pancetta
Herbs and spices
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In a large pot on the stove, cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Put aside 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a cloth to remove any dirt, and chop into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, place the chopped mushrooms and cover with the herbs and spices.
- In a large saucepan, lightly cook the mushrooms (and optional bacon) in the olive oil for about 5 minutes. (Ensure that the bacon is cooked.)
- Add the pasta water into the saucepan to combine with the mushroom and pancetta juices to make a sauce.
- Once the pasta has finished cooking, drain the pasta and place it in a large casserole dish.
- Layer the mushrooms along with the sauce (and optional bacon) between the cooked pasta.
- Preheat the oven at 375°F (190°C).
- Top the casserole with the parmesan cheese and mix it into the pasta bake.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese on top looks cooked and golden brown.
- Serve while warm.
Le Creuset Stoneware 128 Oz. Rectangular Heritage Casserole with Lid
Lipper International Durable Bamboo Over the Sink or Stove Cutting Board
Cuisinart Professional 15 Piece Cutlery Block Set
Tramontina Gourmet 3 Piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set
Christopher Kimball's Milk Street Traverse Power Whisk
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 1263mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 25g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other mushroom recipes
- Mushroom and parmesan pasta bake
- Spinach mushroom egg wrap
- Instant pot Mushroom potato soup
- Creamy mushroom sauce with ravioli
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!