Ricotta stuffed shell pasta in Pesto sauce
Get the recipe for this ricotta stuffed shell pasta, cooked with cheese and a delicious pesto sauce. With accompaniments, tips, and more.
This Recipe includes
|Stuffed shell pasta – any type of large stuffed shell pasta. Also known as conchiglie pasta.|
|Pesto sauce – you can use any type of store-bought pesto sauce, or follow the recipe for my homemade pesto sauce here.|
|Ricotta – any type of full or low-fat ricotta|
|Egg – to add flavor to the ricotta sauce|
|Grated cheese – any type of grated hard cheese, such as parmesan, gruyere, emmental, etc.|
|Garlic – garlic powder or flakes|
|(Optional) chopped prosciutto ham – for additional flavor|
|Salt and pepper|
Why we love it
If you want to transform your boring spaghetti routine into something tasty and filling, try this delicious ricotta stuffed pasta, make in a pesto sauce. It is a simple recipe bursting with flavor, that looks more complicated to make than it really is.
All it needs is a ricotta and egg sauce that can be prepared in 5 minutes or less, and a small teaspoon to fill in each of the large shells of pasta.
Now depending on how much of a hurry you are in, you can use storebought pasta, or use my homemade pesto sauce recipe.
I should mention that unlike my pink sauce recipe for stuffed shell pasta, I prefer to lightly drizzle the pesto over the pasta, rather than layer it at the bottom, as it can overwhelm the dish with too much pesto flavor. In this case, just a bit of pesto packs a whole lot of punch.
What to serve with it?
You can serve this ricotta stuffed shell pasta in pesto sauce with a salad like this apple salad with feta, or a starter like tomato tartare.
How to store it?
If you do want to prepare this ricotta stuffed shell pesto pasta in advance, let it cool completely and place it in an airtight glass container. However, it is not a dish that freezes very well because the pasta gets soggy, so I don’t recommend it.
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
Ricotta stuffed shell pasta in a pesto sauce
A stuffed shell pasta filled with a ricotta and egg mixture, cooked in a pesto sauce.
- 200g of stuffed shell pasta (conchiglie pasta)
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- 4 tablespoons of grated cheese (eg. parmesan, gruyere, emmental, etc.)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
- (Optional) chopped prosciutto ham
- In a large pot on the stove, cook the stuffed shell pasta according to package instructions.
- Once the pasta has finished cooking, drain the pasta and let it cool till it becomes comfortable to touch.
- In a small bowl, crack open the egg and mix with the ricotta cheese, dried basil, salt and pepper.
- Using a small teaspoon, put the ricotta mixture into each individual pasta shell and place in the casserole dish. Start on the outside arranging each stuffed pasta shell and head towards the center, with the stuffed pasta shells overlapping.
- Repeat for each pasta shell until the casserole dish is full.
- Preheat the oven at 375°F (190°C).
- Drizzle the pesto sauce (recipe here) lightly over the stuffed pasta shells
- Sprinkle the top layer with the grated cheese and optional chopped prosciutto ham.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese on top looks cooked.
- Serve while warm.
Le Creuset Stoneware 128 Oz. Rectangular Heritage Casserole with Lid
Lipper International Durable Bamboo Over the Sink or Stove Cutting Board
Cuisinart Professional 15 Piece Cutlery Block Set
Tramontina Gourmet 3 Piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set
Christopher Kimball's Milk Street Traverse Power Whisk
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 449Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 136mgSodium: 997mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 29g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other Pasta bake recipes
- Cheesy tuna spinach pasta bake in pink sauce
- Spinach and ricotta stuffed shell pasta in pink sauce
- Mushroom and parmesan pasta bake
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!