Instant Pot Creamy Sausage and Pasta
Get the recipe for this flavorful creamy sausage and pasta made quickly and easily in the Instant pot. With accompaniments, tips, and more.
This Recipe includes
|Pasta – you can use any type of pasta like penne, spaghetti, tagliatelle, or even whole wheat pasta.|
|Smoked sausages – any type of thick smoked sausages will do, eg. Italian sausages, pork bratwurst, saucisse de toulouse, etc.|
|Spinach – frozen or fresh spinach.|
|Onion – white onion sliced or cubed. You can use frozen pre-chopped onions as well.|
|Grated cheese – I’m using parmesan, but you can use any type of grated cheese such as gruyère, cheddar, emmental, pecorino, etc.|
Spices and accents for the sauce:
|Crushed garlic cloves or garlic powder|
|Paprika for a bit of spice|
|Crême fraiche or any type of heavy cream. You can also use greek yogurt for a lighter version.|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- If using fresh spinach, add it into the Instant pot after the Instant pot finishes cooking the pasta, otherwise the spinach will melt into the dish.
- If you use whole wheat pasta, add one minute to the Instant pot cooking time.
- Be sure to quick release the Instant pot immediately after it finished cooking.
Why we love it
Sausage and pasta are a match made in heaven. With copious amounts of cheese and a hidden dash of spinach, this one-pot dish is exactly what you need when you want something quick and easy.
The sausages and pasta come together quickly in a medley of spices and juices from the meat. I then like to make it creamier by adding heavy cream or crême fraiche, but you can also leave it out if you wish.
You can combine any type of sausage with any type of pasta, the only thing I would recommend is using a chunkier sausage rather than one of those thin microwavable ones.
In addition, the key to this dish is to not let the pasta overcook in the Instant pot. Quick release it immediately once the Instant pot bell sounds, and let it cool. And with that, the pasta should still remain al dente.
What to serve with it?
You can serve this creamy sausage and pasta with a starter like roasted tomatoes with garlic as a starter or a salad with bacon and goat cheese.
How to store it?
Sausage and pasta is not a dish that freezes very well because the pasta gets soggy, so I don’t recommend it. However, if you do want to prepare it in advance to serve a few hours or a couple of days later, let it cool completely and place it in an airtight glass container.
Instant pot creamy sausages and pasta
An easy creamy sausage pasta that is delicious, and best of all, quick to make in the Instant pot.
- 1lb (500g) of spaghetti pasta
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 smoked sausages
- 1 cup of frozen spinach*
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 cup of crême fraiche (heavy cream)
- 1 cup grated cheese (parmesan, gruyère, cheddar, emmental, etc.)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 5 cups of water
- Slice the sausage into small vertical slices that make for easy cooking.
- Chop the onion into slices or small cubes.
- In the Instant pot, use the sauté function to sauté the sausage and the onions for 2 minutes. (If you use whole wheat pasta, add one minute to the Instant pot cooking time.)
- Place the uncooked spaghetti into the Instant pot along with the sausage, spinach, and onions.
- Add water until the pasta is covered.
- Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper to Instant pot.
- Close the Instant pot and cook at Manual high pressure for 2 minutes.
- After the Instant Pot timer ends, quick release the steam.
- Open the instant pot and add the crême fraiche and cheese into the mix.
- Stir and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve while warm.
- If using fresh spinach, add it into the Instant pot after the Instant pot finishes cooking the pasta, not before.
- If the pasta is too watery after cooking, let it rest for 10-15 minutes for the water to reduce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 618Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 871mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 18g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other pasta recipes
- Ricotta stuffed shell pasta with pesto
- Mushroom and parmesan pasta bake
- Burrata pasta with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes
- Sun-dried tomato pesto gnocchi
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic Instant pot recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!