This Recipe includes
- Pasta – you can use any type of pasta like penne, spaghetti, tagliatelle, or even whole wheat pasta. If you use whole wheat pasta, add one minute to the Instant pot cooking time.
- Smoked sausages – any type of smoked sausages will do, eg. Italian sausages, pork bratwurst, saucisse de toulouse, etc.
- Onion – white onion sliced or cubed. You can use frozen pre-chopped onions as well.
- Grated cheese – any type of grated cheese such as parmesan, gruyère, cheddar, emmental, pecorino, etc.
- Spinach – frozen or fresh spinach. If using fresh spinach, add it into the Instant pot after the Instant pot finishes cooking the pasta, not before.
Spices and accents for the sauce:
- Paprika – for a bit of spice
- Garlic – crushed garlic or garlic powder
- Crême fraiche – crême fraiche or any type of heavy cream. You can also use greek yogurt for a lighter version.
Why we love it
Sausage and pasta are a match made in heaven. With copious amounts of cheese and a hidden dash of spinach, this one-pot dish is exactly what you need when you want something quick and easy.
The sausages and pasta come together quickly in a medley of spices and juices from the meat. I then like to make it creamier by adding heavy cream or crême fraiche, but you can also leave it out if you wish.
You can combine any type of sausage with any type of pasta, the only thing I would recommend is using a chunkier sausage rather than one of those thin microwavable ones.
In addition, the key to this dish is to not let the pasta overcook in the Instant pot. Quick release it immediately once the Instant pot bell sounds, and let it cool. And with that, the pasta should still remain al dente.
Frequently asked questions
1. What to serve with it?
2. Can you freeze it?
Sausage and pasta is not a dish that freezes very well because the pasta gets soggy, so I don’t recommend it. However, if you do want to prepare it in advance, let it cool completely and place it in an airtight glass container.
If you like this recipe
- 1lb (500g) of spaghetti pasta
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 smoked sausages
- 1 cup of frozen spinach*
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 cup of crême fraiche (heavy cream)
- 1 cup grated cheese (parmesan, gruyère, cheddar, emmental, etc.)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 5 cups of water
- Slice the sausage into small vertical slices that make for easy cooking.
- Chop the onion into slices or small cubes.
- In the Instant pot, use the sauté function to sauté the sausage and the onions for 2 minutes.
- Place the uncooked spaghetti into the Instant pot along with the sausage, spinach, and onions.
- Add water until the pasta is covered.
- Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper to Instant pot.
- Close the Instant pot and cook at Manual high pressure for 2 minutes.
- After the Instant Pot timer ends, quick release the steam.
- Open the instant pot and add the crême fraiche and cheese into the mix.
- Stir and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve while warm.
- If using fresh spinach, add it into the Instant pot after the Instant pot finishes cooking the pasta, not before.
- If the pasta is too watery after cooking, let it rest for 10-15 minutes for the water to reduce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 618Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 871mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 18g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic Instant pot recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!