This Recipe includes
|Rigatoni – regular or whole wheat rigatoni. If you use whole wheat pasta, add one minute to the Instant pot cooking time.|
|Broccoli – frozen chopped broccoli|
|Tomato sauce – any type of tomato sauce or tomato coulis.|
|Cheddar – I recommend cheddar as it goes well with broccoli but you can also use parmesan, emmental, or gruyère.|
|(Optional) Chopped bacon or pancetta – for flavor|
Spices and accents for the sauce:
|Garlic – pinch of garlic powder or flakes|
|Dried basil – for flavor|
|Parsley – fresh or dried parsley for decoration|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- Fresh broccoli will overcook in the Instant pot, so I recommend using frozen broccoli. If you only have fresh broccoli, cook it lightly before hand and add it to the instant pot after the rigatoni has finished cooking.
- Pasta cooks very quickly in the Instant Pot, so it is important to quick release as soon as the Instant pot finishes cooking.
Why we love it
Sometimes you just want a big heaping bowl of comfort food. For those days, there is nothing like a big bowl of pasta. And if you like broccoli and cheese, you’re going to love this dish.
This simple rigatoni recipe can be made quickly in the Instant pot and serves up as a tasty and filling meal for the whole family. It is really easy to make, filled with flavor and delicious. Just put everything in and set the timer for dinner!
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
If you do want to prepare this Instant pot rigatoni with broccoli and cheese in advance, let it cool completely and place it in an airtight glass container.
However, it is not a dish that freezes very well because the pasta gets soggy, so I don’t recommend it.
- 1 lb (500g) of rigatoni
- 2 cups of frozen broccoli
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 8oz of tomato sauce or tomato coulis (210g)
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
- pinch of dried basil
- pinch of dried parsley
- 5 cups of water
- (Optional) 1/2 pound (250g) of cubed bacon or pancetta
- (Optional) Chop the bacon into small vertical cubes that make for easy cooking. In the Instant pot, use the sauté function to sauté the bacon for 2 minutes.
- Place the uncooked rigatoni into the Instant pot along with all the other ingredients, except the cheese.
- Add water until the pasta is covered.
- Close the Instant pot and cook at Manual high pressure for 2 minutes.
- After the Instant Pot timer ends, quick release the steam.
- Open the instant pot and add the cheese into the mix.
- Serve while warm.
If the pasta is too watery after cooking, let it rest for 10-15 minutes for the water to reduce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 544mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 13g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other pasta recipes
- Shrimp and broccoli pasta
- Mushroom and parmesan pasta bake
- Burrata pasta with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes
- Sun-dried tomato pesto gnocchi
- Ravioli in mushroom sauce
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic Instant pot recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!