This Recipe includes
|Any type of pasta like spaghetti or tagliatelle, or even whole wheat pasta.|
|Bacon – cut strips of bacon or pancetta into cubes|
|Eggs – to bind the pasta carbonara|
|Onion – white onion sliced or cubed|
|Garlic powder or flakes to add flavor|
|Parmesan or pecorino – traditional cheese in a carbonara|
|(Optional) crême fraiche or heavy cream for a saucy pasta|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- If you use whole wheat pasta, add one minute to the Instant pot cooking time.
- Heavy cream is not included in a traditional Italian spaghetti carbonara, but if you find your pasta needs more sauce, add in some heavy cream after the pasta has finished cooking.
- Pasta cooks quickly in the Instant pot, so be sure to quick release the pressure as soon as the Instant pot finishes cooking.
Why we love it
Spaghetti carbonara is a simple Italian dish that has become popular around the world. This creamy pasta with bacon, egg, and pecorino is very easy to make in the Instant pot for that quick week-night dinner.
And the best part I find about using the Instant pot for pasta carbonara is that it is a one-dish meal, that doesn’t require additional cleanup. Who doesn’t love that!?
Now pasta can overcook in the Instant pot, so you do have pay close attention to it and Quick Release once the Instant pot beep sounds. You can read more about how to avoid overcooking pasta in the Instant pot here.
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
Pasta carbonara is not a dish that freezes very well because of the egg, so I don’t recommend it. However, if you do want to prepare it in advance, let it cool completely and place it in an airtight glass container.
Instant pot spaghetti carbonara
- 1 lb 500g of spaghetti pasta
- 3 eggs
- 1 onion
- 1/2 pound 250g of cubed bacon or pancetta
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 5 cups of water
- Optional 1 cup of crême fraiche (heavy cream)
- Chop the bacon into small vertical cubes that make for easy cooking.
- Chop the onion into slices or small cubes.
- In the Instant pot, use the sauté function to sauté the bacon and the onions for 2 minutes.
- Place the uncooked spaghetti into the Instant pot along with the bacon and onions, and add water until the pasta is covered.
- Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper to Instant pot.
- Close the Instant pot and cook at Manual high pressure for 2 minutes.
- Beat the eggs together in a bowl.
- After the Instant Pot timer ends, quick release the steam.
- Open the instant pot and add the eggs and parmesan (and optional cream) into the mix.
- Sauté the pasta carbonara for 2 minutes to let the egg cook completely into the spaghetti.
- Serve while warm.
Other pasta recipes
- Shrimp and broccoli pasta
- Mushroom and parmesan pasta bake
- Burrata pasta with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes
- Sun-dried tomato pesto gnocchi
- Ravioli in mushroom sauce
If you enjoyed that, check out our other delicious Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy. Bon appétit!