This Recipe includes
|Any type of pasta like spaghetti or tagliatelle, or even whole wheat pasta.|
|Extra firm tofu that will cook well and not dissolve|
|fresh baby spinach or regular spinach|
|Any type of heavy cream, crême fraiche, or plain greek yogurt.|
|Garlic powder or flakes will add flavor|
|Olive oil to cook the tofu|
|(Optional) Parmesan cheese|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- If you use whole wheat pasta, add one minute to the Instant pot cooking time.
- Pasta cooks quickly in the Instant pot, so be sure to quick release the pressure as soon as the Instant pot finishes cooking.
- Don’t skip the part about removing excess moisture from the tofu. You can do this by wrapping the tofu in a towel or paper towels, then placing it on a plate and weighing it down with something heavy, like a cast iron pan. Leave it to press for at least 5 minutes, or longer if you have time.
Why we love it
Pasta is probably one of the things that you can easily prepare in the comfort of your own home. It is always fun to experiment with different ingredients and sauces, to keep that weeknight dinner interesting.
Whether you are vegetarian full-time or trying to incorporate more vegetarian recipes into your diet for meat-free Mondays, tofu and pasta is always a firm favorite in my family.
Tofu is a great source of protein and when combined with spinach and pasta in a creamy sauce, this is a meal that is rich and full of flavor. And have I mentioned that it is very quick to make, especially in the Instant pot?
Now pasta can overcook in the Instant pot, so you do have pay close attention to it and Quick Release once the Instant pot beep sounds. You can read more about how to avoid overcooking pasta in the Instant pot here.
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
Tofu and pasta is not a dish that freezes very well, because the tofu absorbs water and doesn’t taste as well. However, if you do want to freeze it, let it cool completely and place it in an airtight glass container.
Instant pot tofu and pasta
- 1 lb 500g of spaghetti pasta
- 1/2 pound 250g of tofu
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 cup of crême fraiche heavy cream or greek yogurt
- pinch of garlic powder
- Optional 1 cup grated Parmesan
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 5 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Wrap the tofu in an absorbent towel and set something heavy on top, to press out extra moisture for 5 minutes.
- Chop the tofu into small vertical cubes that make for easy cooking.
- Place the uncooked spaghetti into the Instant pot along with the spinach, and add water until the pasta is covered.
- Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper to Instant pot.
- Close the Instant pot and cook at Manual high pressure for 2 minutes. (If using whole wheat pasta, add one more minute to the Instant pot cooking time.)
- In a separate pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the tofu for 5 minutes, flipping occasionally to cook on all sides.
- After the Instant Pot timer ends, quick release the steam.
- Open the instant pot and add the tofu, fresh spinach, and cream (and optional parmesan) into the mix.
- Sauté the tofu and pasta for 2 minutes to let it blend completely into the spaghetti.
- Serve while warm.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other delicious Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy. Bon appétit!