Instant Pot Cajun sausage and rice
Sausage and rice is an easy recipe, especially with the Instant pot. With a dose of spices and some veggies, this one dish meal is perfect for dinner, and maybe even some leftovers.
This Recipe includes
|Smoked sausages such as eg. Italian sausages, pork bratwurst, saucisse de toulouse, etc.|
|Basmati rice – white basmati rice or you can also use brown rice.|
|Chopped white onions that are fresh or frozen.|
|(Optional) frozen spinach|
|Fresh tomatoes or if you are in a hurry, substitute in cans of whole-peeled tomatoes.|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Crushed garlic cloves or garlic powder|
|Paprika for a cajun spice mix|
|Saffron or turmeric for that lovely color|
|Olive oil to sauté the garlic and ginger|
|(Optional) Cayenne pepper for a bit of spice|
|Liquid beef stock, or a cube beef stock with water|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- Any type of thicker sausages will do, including beef, pork or chicken sausages. Examples of thick sausages are Italian sausages, pork bratwurst, saucisse de toulouse, etc.
- Frozen spinach works better than fresh as it holds its consistency better in the Instant pot.
- Using beef broth or stock adds a lot of flavor to the rice.
Why we love it
Cajun-style Sausages and rice is one of the most popular combos around, and with the Instant Pot, it is easier to prepare than ever. A one pot meal that can be prepared quickly with all the taste and flavor that you would expect.
For people who are busy and on the go, it can be hard to find time to make a home cooked meal that is filling, and delicious. With this dish, you can even add in some vegetables like spinach and onions to get those vital nutrients that we all need, all in one dish.
Just put everything in the Instant pot, and you are all set. With this sausage and rice recipe, you may just find a new favorite for both you and your family!
What to serve with it?
Instant pot sausage and rice is a great one pot meal, so you don’t necessarily have to serve a side. But if you do wish to, green beans or a salad with vinaigrette will be a lovely complement.
For a starter, consider roasted tomatoes with parsley and garlic, and for dessert, perhaps a light strawberry mousse?
How to store it?
This is one of those recipes that tastes better the next day. You can easily put aside portions of sausage and rice in an airtight container and put in the freezer.
Instant Pot Cajun Sausage and Rice
An easy recipe for Instant Pot Sausage and rice that makes for a delicious weeknight meal.
- 6 medium smoked sausages or 4 large smoked sausages (eg. Montbéliard or Saucisse de Toulouse)
- 4 large tomatoes (or 3 cans of whole-peeled tomatoes)
- 4 medium onions
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 Laurier leaf
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric (saffron)
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed ginger
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 cups of basmati rice
- 5 cups of beef stock or water
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- (Optional) 10oz frozen spinach
- Chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Cut the sausages into one-inch chunks. (If the sausages are frozen, put them in as is, and chop them after the Instant pot cooking process finishes.)
- Add the olive oil to the Instant pot and add the chopped onions and crushed garlic and ginger.
- Saute for a couple of minutes till fragrant and then add the chopped sausage.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and close the instant pot.
- Cook on Manual for 5 minutes.
- After the Instant Pot timer ends, quick release the steam.
- Stir the sausage and rice together and serve while warm.
If you like spicy, add more cayenne pepper or chili peppers to up the heat factor, if you wish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 700Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 1221mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 25g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other sausage recipes
- Instant Pot Creamy Sausage and Pasta
- One-dish Sausage and cauliflower casserole
- Air fryer sausage and veggies
- Sausage, spinach, egg, and cheese scramble
- Sausage and egg lentil salad with mozzarella
If you enjoyed that, check out our other simple Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy to make. Bon appétit!