This Recipe includes
- Smoked sausages – any type of smoked sausages will do, eg. Italian sausages, pork bratwurst, saucisse de toulouse, etc.
- Tomatoes – you can use fresh tomatoes, or if you are in a hurry, cans of whole-peeled tomatoes.
- Basmati rice – white basmati rice works well with this recipe, but you can also use brown rice.
- Onions – chopped white onions that are fresh or frozen
- (Optional) frozen spinach – frozen spinach works better than fresh as it holds its consistency better in the instant pot
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
- Turmeric (saffron) – for that lovely yellow color
- Paprika – for a cajun spice mix
- Garlic – crushed garlic or garlic powder
- Ginger – ginger powder
- Olive oil – to cook the garlic and ginger
- Dried thyme and laurier leaf – for added flavor
- (Optional) cayenne pepper – for a bit of spice
Why we love it
Cajun-style Sausages and rice is one of the most popular combos around, and with the Instant Pot, it is easier to prepare than ever. A one pot meal that can be prepared quickly with all the taste and flavor that you would expect.
For people who are busy and on the go, it can be hard to find time to make a home cooked meal that is filling, and delicious. With this dish, you can even add in some vegetables like spinach and onions to get those vital nutrients that we all need, all in one dish.
Just put everything in the Instant pot, and you are all set. With this sausage and rice recipe, you may just find a new favorite for both you and your family!
Frequently asked questions
1. What to serve with it?
Instant pot sausage and rice is a great one pot meal, so you don’t necessarily have to serve a side. But if you do wish to, green beans or a salad with vinaigrette will be a lovely complement.
For a starter, consider roasted tomatoes with parsley and garlic, and for dessert, perhaps a light strawberry mousse?
2. Can you freeze it?
Yes, this is one of those recipes that tastes better the next day. You can easily put aside portions of sausage and rice in an airtight container and put in the freezer.
If you like this recipe
- 6 medium smoked sausages or 4 large smoked sausages (eg. Montbéliard or Saucisse de Toulouse)
- 4 large tomatoes (or 3 cans of whole-peeled tomatoes)
- 4 medium onions
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 Laurier leaf
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric (saffron)
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed ginger
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 cups of basmati rice
- 5 cups of water
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- (Optional) 10oz frozen spinach
- Chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Cut the sausages into one-inch chunks. (If the sausages are frozen, put them in as is, and chop them after the Instant pot cooking process finishes.)
- Add the olive oil to the Instant pot and add the chopped onions and crushed garlic and ginger.
- Saute for a couple of minutes till fragrant and then add the chopped sausage.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and close the instant pot.
- Cook on Manual for 5 minutes.
- After the Instant Pot timer ends, quick release the steam.
- Stir the sausage and rice together and serve while warm.
If you like spicy, add more cayenne pepper or chili peppers to up the heat factor, if you wish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 700Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 1221mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 25g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other simple Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy to make. Bon appétit!