This Recipe includes
|Seafood – any type of frozen shrimp, prawns, mussels, calamari rings, or scallops. If you are using fresh seafood, cook it separately in advance, and add it after to the paella.|
|Rice – Spanish bomba or Italian arborio rice is typically best for a paella as they are short-grained rice.|
|Chopped white onions that are fresh or frozen.|
|Red and green bell peppers|
|Green peas – frozen green peas. (Fresh green peas will overcook and dissolve into the paella.)|
|Tomatoes – fresh tomatoes, or if you are in a hurry, a can of whole-peeled tomatoes.|
|(Optional) chorizo sausage – Spanish traditionalists don’t usually add chorizo in their paella, but it has become a much-loved ingredient for its juices and flavor.|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Crushed garlic cloves or garlic powder|
|Paprika for a cajun spice mix|
|Saffron or turmeric for that lovely color|
|Olive oil to sauté the garlic|
|(Optional) Cayenne pepper for a bit of spice|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
Type of rice for paella
The best rice for a paella is short-grained rices like the Spanish bomba or Italian arborio rice. You can also use French riz de camargue, which is also traditionally used in a paella.
Note, Basmati rice is a long-grain rice and unfortunately does not do well in a paella.
- Seafood cooks quickly, so if you are using fresh seafood, you will want cook it separately in advance. Just add it after to the paella, as otherwise it will get overcooked in the Instant Pot.
- Make sure all the shells are off of any seafood that you add to the Instant pot. For instance, all shrimp should be cleaned and deveined before adding it into the Instant pot.
Why we love it
If you’re looking for the perfect one-pot rice recipe to cook for an easy weeknight dinner, this Instant pot seafood paella recipe may be just what you need. It’s easy to make and delicious to eat, which is why it’s no surprise that this is our household.
Paella is considered a national dish in Spain, and there are many variations to the traditional recipe. The most common ingredients in paella recipes are rice, shrimp, mussels, peas, peppers and saffron.
Now, I usually get a pack of frozen seafood at my local grocery store that includes shrimp, mussels and calamari, so I can just put the whole thing in.
With the flavors of the tomatoes, peppers and saffron, this is a recipe that is high in protein and low in fat. The biggest controversy will be deciding whether to add in the chorizo or not!
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
Seafood paella is one of those recipes that tastes better the next day. You can easily put aside portions of sausage and rice in an airtight container and put in the fridge for a few days.
- 2 cups of frozen seafood (shrimp, prawns, mussels, calamari rings, scallops)
- 2 chopped large tomatoes (or 1 cans of whole-peeled tomato)
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 1/2 chopped red pepper
- 1/2 chopped green pepper
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric (saffron)
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 cups of paella bomba rice (or Arborio rice)
- 5 cups of chicken stock
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- (Optional) 1 chopped chorizo sausage
- Chop the onions, peppers, and tomatoes.
- Add the olive oil to the Instant pot and add the chopped onions, chorizo, and crushed garlic.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes till fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and close the Instant pot.
- Cook on Manual for 5 minutes.
- After the Instant Pot timer ends, quick release the steam.
- Stir the paella and serve while warm.
If you like spicy, add more cayenne pepper or chili peppers to up the heat factor, if you wish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 645Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 147mgSodium: 1311mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 42g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other seafood recipes
- Baked salmon with hollandaise sauce
- Seafood vermicelli noodle bowl
- Tuna wheat berry salad with balsamic vinaigrette
- Instant pot lemon garlic scallops pasta
- Instant Pot shrimp fried rice
If you enjoyed that, check out our other delicious Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy. Bon appétit!