This Recipe includes
|Arborio rice – a type of Italian short-grain rice that is necessary to make risotto|
|Peas – frozen peas are best, as fresh or canned peas will cook too quickly.|
|(Optional) Onion – chopped or sliced white onion is preferable.|
Spices and flavoring ingredients
|1 crushed garlic clove or pinch of garlic powder|
|Fresh or dried parsley|
|Liquid vegetable stock or cube of vegetable stock with water|
|(Optional) Dry white wine|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
Type of rice for risotto
The best rice for a risotto is short-grained rices like the Italian arborio rice. You can also use Spanish bomba or French riz de camargue, which is also traditionally used in a risotto.
Note, Basmati rice is a long-grain rice and unfortunately does not do well in a risotto.
- White wine is included in the traditional Italian recipe, but you may want to leave it out if you are serving it to children or to someone who doesn’t drink alcohol. You can add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice as a substitute, or just leave it out completely.
- If you only have fresh or canned peas, add them at the end at the same time as the parmesan, instead of cooking with the rice.
- You can also use beef or chicken stock if you don’t mind going non-vegetarian.
Why we love it
The Italian risotto is one of those fabulous dishes that can be served by itself or as a side. It can be an easy meal for yourself on a busy weekday, or a delectable side served with a chicken or meat dish for a satisfying and healthy meal.
In this risotto variation, I’ve added peas and parmesan to make a vegetarian dish that can go with almost anything.
The one thing I will note with this recipe is that the moment when you do add the peas into the Instant pot will depend on if they are frozen peas or canned peas.
Canned peas are already cooked, so you can just add them at the end at the same time as the cheese. If you add them beforehand, they will become mushy. Frozen peas, on the other hand, can be added into the rice before cooking, and they will come out perfectly done.
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
This pea and parmesan risotto can easily be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge for around a day or so.
If you want to freeze it however, I recommend doing so before you add the parmesan cheese. Let it cool completely and place it in an airtight glass container, and it should last a couple of months.
Instant pot pea and parmesan risotto
- 1.5 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of frozen green peas *
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups of vegetable or beef stock
- pinch of garlic powder
- 2-3 sprigs of chopped parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Optional 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Optional 1 medium sliced onion
- Add all the ingredients to the instant pot, except for the parmesan cheese.
- Set the Instant pot to cook for on high for 5 minutes.
- Let it natural release when it finishes and beeps. Open the instant pot carefully and stir the risotto.
- Add in the parmesan cheese and stir. (If there is too much water, turn on the Sauté function for a few minutes and stir.)
- Serve while warm.
Other vegetarian recipes
- Burrata pasta with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes
- Instant Pot Creamy pesto pasta
- Instant pot rigatoni with broccoli and cheese
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!