This Recipe includes
|Arborio rice – a type of Italian short-grain rice that is necessary to make risotto|
|Bacon, chopped pieces to add a ton of flavor.|
|Fresh or frozen mushrooms (eg. white mushrooms or oyster mushrooms)|
|Onion – chopped or sliced white onion is preferable.|
Spices and flavoring ingredients
|Crushed garlic cloves or garlic powder|
|Fresh or dried parsley|
|Liquid Beef stock or cube of beef stock with water|
|(Optional) Dry white wine|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
Type of rice for risotto
The best rice for a risotto is short-grained rices like the Italian arborio rice. You can also use Spanish bomba or French riz de camargue, which is also traditionally used in a risotto.
Note, Basmati rice is a long-grain rice and unfortunately does not do well in a risotto.
- Wine is usually included in the traditional Italian recipe but you may want to leave it out if you are serving it to children or to someone who doesn’t drink alcohol. You can add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice instead, or just leave it out completely.
- The Instant Pot can cook risotto quickly, so it’s important to quick release the Instant pot after the beep sounds so that it doesn’t get mushy.
- If the risotto comes out too thick or too thin, you can adjust the consistency by adding more broth, as needed.
Why we love it
Making bacon risotto can be a little time consuming, but not in the Instant pot. Just put all the ingredients in and set the timer. The bacon lends an incredible smokiness to the dish that is just amazing, and the mushroom adds so much flavor.
The traditional risotto recipe includes wine, onion and parmesan cheese but I’ve tested it several times without (just because I didn’t happen to have any handy), and it still tasted great. There is so much flavor with the mushroom and bacon already, that you won’t miss it.
What to serve with it?
You can serve risotto as a main dish with a side like a mixed green salad. For a starter, try roasted tomatoes for contrasting flavors. If you want to serve it as a side dish, try pairing it with baked chicken or fish, or even lamb chops.
How to store it?
If you want to freeze this bacon and mushroom risotto, I recommend doing so before you add the parmesan cheese. Let it cool completely and place it in an airtight glass container, and it should last a couple of months.
Instant pot bacon and mushroom risotto
- 1.5 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5-6 strips of cubed bacon or smoked ham
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms white or button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups of beef stock
- pinch of garlic powder
- 2-3 sprigs of chopped parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Optional 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Optional 1 medium sliced onion
- Chop the bacon vertically into small thin strips.
- Add all the ingredients to the instant pot, except for the parmesan cheese.
- Set the Instant Pot to cook for on high for 6 minutes.
- Let it quick release when it finishes and beeps. Open the Instant Pot carefully and stir the risotto.
- Add in the parmesan cheese and stir. (If there is too much water, turn on the Sauté function for a few minutes and stir.)
- Serve while warm.
Other bacon recipes
- Creamy cauliflower casserole with bacon and cheese
- Bacon and Egg Potato salad with Greek dressing
- Bacon and mushroom quiche
- Salad with bacon, goat cheese, and creamy garlic dressing
If you enjoyed that, check out our other simple Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy to make. Bon appétit!