This Recipe includes
|Salmon – fresh cutlets or fillets of 1 1/2 – 2 inches thick.|
|Oil – any type of vegetable oil or olive oil|
|Garlic powder or flakes|
|Lemon – for the lemon juice|
|Coriander – dried coriander or 2-3 sprigs of fresh coriander|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
For the sauce:
|Eggs – regular medium-sized eggs|
|Butter – to help the eggs emulsify|
|Lemon – for a bit of tart flavor|
|(Optional) pinch of cayenne pepper|
- Let the egg yolks come to room temperature to make the base of the hollandaise sauce. Cold eggs from the fridge will not emulsify in the sauce.
Why we love it
Baked salmon is one of those healthy and delicious meals that is also very easy to prepare. When it is fresh, that delicate pink flesh is so full of flavor, along with being packed with nutrients, protein, and omega-3 acids.
And with that fish, why not take it up another notch with some hollandaise sauce that only takes about 10 minutes to prepare. Along with being low in calories, it is also very versatile and can be enjoyed with a variety of side dishes.
From rice to pasta, or even quinoa and baked potatoes, you simply can’t go wrong this this dish.
To make the hollandaise sauce, you only need 10 minutes and two bowls, one that fits into the other. Placing the egg yolks and the butter in the small bowl, and then put the entire bowl within a larger dish filled with hot water.
The heat from the water warms up the smaller bowl and emulsifies the butter and eggs while mixing. The water in a bain marie should be heated to around 150°F (65°C), otherwise the eggs will start to cook. The larger dish needs to contain about 3 to 4 cm of water.
When making hollandaise sauce, it is important for the eggs to be at room temperature so that it emulsifies properly. Cold eggs coming out of the fridge will not emulsify as well.
You can read more about making the hollandaise sauce here. Just to note, the hollandaise sauce should be warm when served.
What to serve with it?
One option for serving this baked salmon with hollandaise sauce is to pair it with steamed or roasted vegetables. Vegetables that go well with salmon include broccoli, asparagus, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes.
It also goes well with a leafy green salad or even a quinoa salad. You can also try serving your salmon with a bed of couscous, quinoa, pasta or brown rice.
How to store it?
You can bake the salmon steaks in advance and store it in the refrigerator in a glass container. When you’re ready to eat, simply reheat them in the oven or microwave.
The hollandaise sauce should be served fresh however, as it contains egg yolks that are uncooked and can grow bacteria. You can prepare it a couple of hours in advance and then lightly heat it before serving.
Baked Salmon in Hollandaise sauce
- 2-3 pieces of salmon 1 1/2 – 2 inches thick
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried coriander
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 3 egg yolks
- 200 g Butter
- 1/2 a lemon
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Optional pinch of cayenne pepper
For the Salmon
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the spices, oil, and lemon juice together.
- Add the salmon into the bowl and cover each one generously with the spice mixture.
- Preheat the oven for 5 minutes at 360°F (180°C).
- Place the salmon in the oven for 25 minutes, flipping the salmon every 10 minutes or so.
- Open the air fryer to see if the salmon is cooked enough for you, and heat them for a couple more minutes if you wish.
- Serve while warm with the hollandaise sauce.
For the Hollandaise sauce
- Place the egg yolks in a small bowl, along with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
- Whisk the mixture well.
- Melt the butter in the microwave at a low temperature, until it is soft.
- Prepare a bain marie as follows: Place warm water in a large pan or wok, and place the bowl with the egg mixture into it.
- Whisk the mixture till frothy.
- Add the melted butter slowly, whisking actively as you do.
- Stir in the lemon juice while whisking.
- Season with salt and pepper (and optional cayenne pepper).
- Serve warm.
Other seafood recipes
- Fresh spring rolls with seafood
- Salmon spinach quiche
- Creamy scallops gratin (starter)
- Smoked Salmon taquitos with creamy sauce
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!