This Recipe includes
- Shrimp – any type of shrimp will do, eg. pink shrimp, white shrimp, tiger shrimp, etc. Just clean the shrimp and remove any shells and veins before placing in the Instant pot.
- Eggs – regular medium-sized eggs.
- Basmati rice – white basmati rice works well with this recipe, but you can also use brown rice.
- Green onion – chopped green onion (scallion) for flavor.
- Peas – I recommend frozen peas otherwise they will become very mushy. (But if you don’t mind mushy peas, you still get the benefit of the vegetable)
- Carrots – regular chopped carrots, can be fresh or frozen
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
- Soy sauce – regular or low sodium soy sauce that is salty, not sweet.
- Teriyaki sauce – for a tangy flavor
- Sesame oil – to flavor the garlic
- Garlic – crushed garlic or garlic powder if you don’t have any garlic on hand
- Paprika – for a bit of spice
- (Optional) cayenne pepper – for added heat
Why we love it
There’s no denying the deliciousness of shrimp fried rice. The combination of savory and rich flavors always makes this a standout restaurant favorite. But with the Instant pot, we can make a healthier version at home, while keeping all the flavor.
Instead of frying the eggs and the rice, the heat of the instant pot cooks all the ingredients quickly in this one pot meal, that also makes for easy clean up.
So if you’re looking for a dinner idea that’s easy, versatile and fast to make, then look no further than this delicious classic. You can add it to your list of regular weeknight meals, along with this sausage fried rice version.
Frequently asked questions
1. What to serve with it?
Instant pot shrimp rice is a great one pot meal, so you don’t have to serve a side if you are short on time. You can just increase the proportion of vegetables that you include into the dish. You can also serve it with some green beans or a salad with vinaigrette.
2. Can you prepare it in advance?
Yes, shrimp fried rice is one of those recipes that tastes better the next day. You can easily put aside portions of sausage and rice in an airtight container and put in the fridge for at least a few days.
If you like this recipe
- 20-25 pieces of medium-sized shrimp
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups of basmati rice
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 cup of chopped carrots (small quarters)
- 1 chopped green onion (scallions)
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 6 cups of water
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Chop the carrots into small quarters.
- Add the sesame oil to the Instant pot and add crushed garlic.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes till fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the eggs) and close the instant pot.
- Cook on Manual/Pressure cook for 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs together in a bowl.
- After the Instant Pot timer ends, quick release the steam.
- Open the instant pot and add the eggs in and mix.
- Sauté the rice for 2 minutes to let the egg cook completely into the rice.
- Serve while warm.
If you like spicy, add more cayenne pepper or chili peppers to up the heat factor, if you wish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 700Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 1221mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 25g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other delicious Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy. Bon appétit!