This Recipe includes
|Sausages – any type of beef, pork, lamb, chicken or turkey sausages.|
|Lentils – green lentils, black lentils, French lentils, or beluga lentils. I’m using black lentils.|
|Mozzarella – fresh mozzarella cheese to shred and add to the salad.|
|Eggs – large or medium-sized eggs for protein.|
|Onion – white onion sliced or cubed.|
|Beef stock – liquid beef stock or liquid chicken stock to cook the lentils. You can also use water with a stock cube.|
|Parsley – fresh or dried parsley for flavor.|
Accents for the salad dressing:
|Balsamic vinegar – for that sweet tangy taste.|
|Olive oil – melds well with the balsamic vinegar to make it less sweet|
|Garlic – garlic powder or flakes|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- You can use any type of sausages in this recipe including beef, pork, lamb, chicken or turkey sausages. I like thicker sausages that are more flavorful such as Italian sausages, pork bratwurst, saucisse de toulouse, chipotle sausages, etc.
Why we love it
If you are looking to liven up your regular green lentil salad, why not try some sausages? When it comes to food, there are few things more versatile than a good sausage and egg.
It may not seem like a traditional pairing but I assure you this is a match made in heaven that hits the spot time and time again.
The key is let the juices of the sausages become part of the sauce and dressing that flavors the lentils, with the onions and balsamic vinegar adding an additional kick.
It makes from a nice change from the usual sausage and egg rice dish or a sausage and egg frittata. An easy dish to prepare, that can be served warm or cold.
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
You can easily prepare this sausage and egg lentil salad at least a few hours in advance. However, I recommend keeping the salad dressing separately, so that the salad keeps all its flavor and doesn’t dry out. You can add the salad dressing in when you are ready to eat.
You can keep it in airtight glass containers in the fridge, and take it the next day for a packed lunch.
Sausage and egg lentil salad with mozzarella
- 2-3 medium-sized sausages
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 cup of uncooked green lentils
- 4 cups of water or liquid beef or chicken stock
- 200 g 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
Lentils on the stove top:
- In a saucepan, add the lentils along with water and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and mix with a fork.
Lentils in a rice cooker:
- Add the lentils, water and salt into the the rice cooker and turn it on.
- Once it is finished, remove from the rice cooker into a large bowl and mix with a fork.
- Boil the eggs in a saucepan for 4 minutes.
- Chop the sausages into thin 1-2inch slices, and the onion into small pieces.
- In a large casserole at medium heat, cook the sausages and the onion with 1 tablespoon of oil for 5-6 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Chop the mozzarella cheese into small quarters, and the parsley into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Peel the eggs and cut into small quarters.
- Once cooked, move the lentils to casserole with the sausages and onions so that the lentils absorb the juices from the sausages for about 2-3 minutes at medium heat.
- Move the lentils, sausages, and onions to a large salad bowl.
- While warm, combine it with the mozzarella cheese, eggs, parsley, and salad dressing.
- Toss the salad and serve.
Other recipes with sausages
- Instant Pot Creamy Sausage and Pasta
- Spinach, egg, sausages and cheese frittata
- Sausage and cauliflower casserole
- Sausage, spinach, egg, and cheese scramble
If you enjoyed that, check out our other great salad recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!