Avocado lentil salad with mozzarella
Get the recipe for avocado lentil mixed with chunks of mozzarella cheese, a delicious meal that can be served for lunch or dinner.
This Recipe includes
|Avocados – any size and type of ripe avocados that are ready to be eaten|
|Lentils – green lentils, black lentils, French lentils, or beluga lentils. I’m using black lentils.|
|Mozzarella – fresh mozzarella cheese to shred and add to the salad.|
|Corn – canned corn or canned sweet corn.|
|Cherry tomatoes – for a bit of sweetness and tart|
|Vegetable stock – liquid vegetable stock or liquid chicken stock to cook the lentils. You can also use water with a stock cube.|
Accents for the salad dressing:
|Balsamic vinegar – for that sweet tangy taste.|
|Olive oil – melds well with the balsamic vinegar to make it less sweet|
|Garlic – garlic powder or flakes|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- Sweet corn has a higher sugar content as it is picked while still immature, before the sugar has a chance to turn into starch. So if you are adding sweet corn, note that it may be sweeter than you expect.
Why we love it
If you’ve never thought of combining avocado with lentils, you don’t know what you are missing out.
The avocado lends a creamy texture and the lentils add plenty of protein. It is a tasty and colourful salad, with a cheesy mozzarella to bring it all together.
You can also add any other of your favourite vegetables for this salad to turn into a meal. I’ve added cherry tomatoes and canned corn, but you can add small pieces of broccoli, peas or anything else that you wish.
My main tip when preparing this salad is to add the avocado and the mozzarella into the lentils while they are still warm. The heat of the lentils melts them both slightly for a lovely creamy and rich texture that pulls the dish together to take it to the next level of deliciousness.
What to serve with it?
This avocado lentil salad is a great light and healthy lunch or dinner by itself, but you can also serve it as a side dish along with other meals such as this air fryer whole chicken or this calamari and chorizo pizza.
How to store it?
You can easily prepare this avocado lentil salad with mozzarella at least a few hours in advance. However, I recommend keeping the salad dressing separately, so that the salad doesn’t dry out. Just add the salad dressing in when you are ready to eat.
In addition, you may want to sprinkle some lemon juice on the avocado before adding it to the salad, so that the avocado doesn’t loose that lovely green color.
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
Avocado lentil salad with mozzarella
A simple recipe for avocado lentil salad with mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes, and corn.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup of uncooked green lentils
- 4 cups water or liquid vegetable stock
- 200g (3/4 cup) of mozzarella cheese
- 5oz can of corn (140g)
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
Lentils on the stove top:
- In a saucepan, add the lentils along with water and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and mix with a fork.
Lentils in a rice cooker:
- Add the lentils, water and salt into the the rice cooker and turn it on.
- Once it is finished, remove from the rice cooker into a large bowl and mix with a fork.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and avocado into small quarters.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Drain the water from the canned corn.
- While warm, move the lentils to a large salad bowl, and combine it with the cherry tomatoes, corn, mozzarella cheese, avocado, and salad dressing.
- Toss the salad and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 251mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 9gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other great salad recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!