This Recipe includes
|Chorizo sausage – preference for dried Spanish chorizo|
|Couscous – you can use any type of couscous, quinoa or bulger, I’m using pearl couscous.|
|Mozzarella – fresh mozzarella cheese to shred and add to the salad.|
|Corn – canned corn or canned sweet corn.|
|Cherry tomatoes – for a bit of sweetness and tart|
|Mixed greens – you can use any sort of mixed greens like arugula, mâche, frisée, chicory, romain lettuce, baby spinach, etc.|
|(Optional) onion – chopped red onions or sweet onions|
|Vegetable stock – liquid vegetable stock or liquid chicken stock to cook the lentils. You can also use water with a stock cube.|
Accents for the sauce:
|Greek yogurt – regular or low fat greek yogurt.|
|Garlic powder or flakes|
|Parsley – fresh parsley leaves for flavor and scent|
|Paprika – for a hint of spice|
|Lemon juice – freshly squeezed lemon juice for flavor|
- Spanish chorizo is a dried cured sausage, while Mexican chorizo is a fresh sausage with ground meat. I’m using a dried Spanish chorizo, but you can use whichever you prefer. If you are using Mexican chorizo, be sure to cook it on a stovetop beforehand.
- I like to cook the couscous in liquid stock for more flavor, but you can also use water. Another option is to use water with a cube stock.
- If you are using a rice cooker to cook the couscous, I don’t recommend a cube stock as it will clump together and not mix well in the rice cooker.
- Canned yellow corn doesn’t need to be cooked, so it is a great way to prepare a salad quickly.
Why we love it
With a strong Mediterranean influence, this sumptuous recipe combines Spanish chorizo with tangy cherry tomatoes, and a hearty pearl couscous salad.
It is a light and nutritious meal, that still manages to have plenty of flavor. And it is a versatile meal that can be served for dinner, or packed the next day for lunch.
The key to this couscous salad is that in effect it almost has two sauces. On one hand is the herbed greek yogurt dressing that is rich and creamy.
This is then combined with the juices of the cooked chorizo and cherry tomatoes that meld together with a tartness to add another level to the salad.
What to serve with it?
This chorizo corn and couscous salad is a great light and healthy lunch or dinner by itself, but you can also serve it as a side dish along with other meals such as this pork belly bites on gyro or this Italian beef and spinach pizza.
How to store it?
You can easily prepare this chorizo corn salad with couscous at least a few hours in advance. However, I recommend keeping the salad dressing separately, so that the salad doesn’t dry out. Just add the salad dressing in when you are ready to eat.
Chorizo corn salad with pearl couscous
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked pearl couscous
- 3 cups water liquid chicken stock, or liquid vegetable stock
- 1/2 lb of chorizo sausage
- 5 oz of sweet corn 1 can or 140g
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 2 oz of mixed greens
- 1/2 chopped red onion
For the salad dressing
- 200 g 3/4 cup of greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon for juice
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper
Pearl couscous on the stove top:
- In a saucepan, add the pearl couscous along with water and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- On medium-high, cook the couscous about 8-10 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and mix with a fork.
- Let couscous cool to room temperature.
Pearl Couscous in a rice cooker:
- Add the couscous, water and salt into the the rice cooker and turn it on.
- Once it is finished, remove from the rice cooker into a large bowl and mix with a fork.
- Let couscous cool to room temperature.
- Chop the chorizo, cherry tomatoes, red onion into thin slices.
- Open the can of sweet corn and drain the water.
- In a large salad bowl bowl, combine the salad dressing ingredients along with the sweet corn.
- On a stovetop at medium heat, cook the chorizo for 5 minutes in a saucepan.
- Once the chorizo juices start flowing in the saucepan, add the chopped cherry tomatoes for 2 minutes.
- Move the couscous to the large salad bowl, and combine it with the mixed greens, sweet corn, and salad dressing.
- Add the warm chorizo and cherry tomatoes, along with all the juices from the saucepan into the salad.
- Toss the salad and serve.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other great salad recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!