This Recipe includes
|Sausages – any type of beef, pork, lamb, chicken or turkey sausages.|
|Grated cheese – cheddar, gruyère, mozzarella, or emmental cheese.|
|Eggs – for plenty of protein|
|Spinach – fresh spinach or baby spinach, washed and spun dry, or ready to eat.|
|Onion – white onion sliced or cubed.|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Butter – to cook the sausages and keep them from sticking to the pan|
|Garlic powder – garlic cloves for flavor, but you can also use garlic powder or flakes if you are in a hurry|
|Olive oil – to cook the garlic cloves|
|Salt and pepper|
- You can use any type of sausages in this recipe including beef, pork, lamb, chicken or turkey sausages. I like thicker sausages that are more flavorful such as Italian sausages, pork bratwurst, saucisse de toulouse, chipotle sausages, etc.
- You can use frozen pre-chopped onions if you wish, but you will need to cook them for 5-7 minutes more till they are lightly browned.
Why we love it
Sausage and egg scramble is a simple breakfast dish that’s perfect for weekend brunch or just a quick lunch. It’s the go-to meal in our house when I’m just in a hurry and not sure what to make. It is also a great way to use up leftover sausages and eggs.
Just add in some spinach for protein, along with spices and onion for flavor. You can also get creative with the vegetables, substituting in peas, broccoli or even brussels sprouts. Or simply enjoy it as is.
The key is to get the juices of the sausages and spices to flow into the spinach and egg, adding a ton of flavor. I like to serve it on toast or a baguette, but you can also choose to eat it as is.
And the best part is you can make this the night before and just heat it up in the morning!
What to serve with it?
If you are having this sausage, egg, spinach and cheese scramble for breakfast, you can serving it with something simple like a glass of orange juice and baguette for a quick and healthy breakfast.
How to store it?
If you allow the sausage, spinach, egg, and cheese scramble cool before storing it in a fridge-safe airtight container, it should last for around a couple of days.
When you’re ready to eat it, you can warm it up on the stove top for around 15 minutes, or alternatively, you can use a microwave.
Sausage, spinach, egg, and cheese scramble
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 cup of grated cheese gruyere, parmesan, cheddar, emmental, etc.
- 3-4 sausages
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Crush the garlic and chop the sausages into 1-2 inch slices.
- Wash the spinach and cut into large pieces.
- In a large skillet or wok, sauté the garlic in oil for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the sausages and onion to the skillet, along with the butter. and cook for 5-10 minutes till they turn golden brown.
- Add the spinach into the wok for a couple of minutes.
- In a small bowl, crack open the raw eggs and mix in with the cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir around and add in the egg and cheese mixture to cover the sausages and spinach. Cook at low heat for around 5-7 minutes until the eggs look as cooked as you like.
- Serve while warm.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic breakfast recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!