This Recipe includes
|Plain waffles – plain eggo waffles (or any other brand) are preferable, rather than a flavored version.|
|Eggs – for plenty of protein|
|Cheese – any type of grated cheese (gruyere, parmesan, cheddar, emmental, etc.)|
|Lemon juice – for a bit of tang|
|Cream cheese – I’m using Philadelphia cream cheese, but I have also used greek yogurt for a lower fat version|
|Parsley – 2-3 sprigs of chopped parsley|
|Garlic – garlic powder to flavor the cream cheese, but you can also use crushed garlic.|
|Salt and pepper|
Why we love it
When all you have is waffles in the house and you’re looking for ways to spice them up, this delicious egg and cheese waffle sandwich may become your new favorite thing.
The classic breakfast ingredients just got a new twist that may let you get away with serving this for a lunch or dinner that no one is going to complain about.
Now, you can serve it as a Scandinavian style open-faced sandwich, or top it with a 2nd waffle to make a proper sandwich (if you want to carry it to the office, for example).
Other variations of this sandwich is to switch up the toppings on the waffle with some smoked salmon and cream sauce.
What to serve with it?
This egg and cheese waffle sandwich can easily be served it with any sort of salad or vegetable, such as air fryer garlic fries or a gizzard salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing. You can also serve it with a soup like this homemade carrot soup.
How to store it?
If you do wish to prepare this egg and cheese waffle sandwich in advance, I recommend keeping the cooked scrambled eggs in a separate glass container than the waffle, so that the waffle doesn’t become damp.
Egg and cheese waffles sandwich
- 8 medium-sized plain waffles
- 6-8 eggs
- 1 cup of grated cheese emmental, gruyere, cheddar, etc.
- 1 cup of cream cheese or greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2-3 sprigs of chopped parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Cook the waffles in the toaster oven.
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese in with the salt, pepper, garlic, and lemon juice.
- Chop the parsley into small pieces and mix it into the cream cheese spread.
- Place the waffles flat on a plate, and spread some cream cheese spread on each one.
- In a bowl, crack open the eggs and mix with a pinch of salt, pepper and grated cheese.
- Brush a small nonstick skillet with olive oil or butter and bring to medium heat.
- Reduce the heat slightly and add the egg and cheese mixture to make scrambled eggs.
- At low-medium heat, cook the eggs while gently folding and stirring with a wooden or rubber spatula so that the egg doesn't stick.
- Remove the pan from the heat when the eggs are mostly set, but a little liquid egg remains.
- Top the waffles with the egg and cheese mixture.
- Add a waffle on top to serve as a sandwich or serve it as an open-faced sandwich.
- Enjoy while warm.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic breakfast recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!