This Recipe includes
|Fresh or frozen boneless chicken|
|Fresh or frozen mushrooms (eg. white mushrooms or oyster mushrooms)|
|Pie crusts – you can use shortbread pie crusts or pastry crusts. I’m using shortbread pie crusts in this recipe.|
|Leek – for added vegetables.|
|Egg – to baste the chicken pot pie before putting in the oven.|
Accents for the sauce:
|Crème fraiche – any type of crème fraiche or plain heavy cream.|
|Crushed garlic cloves or garlic powder|
|Fresh or dried parsley for herb flavor|
|Thyme – fresh or dried parsley for that earthy flavor|
|Bay leaf – for a slight minty flavor.|
|Liquid chicken stock or cube of chicken stock with water|
|Flour – all purpose baking flour to add some thickness to the sauce.|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
Why we love it
Chicken pot pie is one of those classic English recipes that everyone always loves. With a lovely golden crust and saucy chicken filling, it makes for a hearty meal that goes down rather easily.
But perhaps the most annoying part of making a chicken pot pie is how long it takes. And that’s where the Instant pot comes in.
In this recipe, I’m using the Instant pot to prepare the filling quickly and easily. Once the Instant pot has done its thing, the filling is then scooped up and added in between two layers of pie crust and placed in the oven.
Then just wait for the pie crust to rise and turn golden brown, and you have a wonderful chicken pot pie the whole family will love.
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
You can easily prepare this chicken pot pie in advance and leave it in the fridge. Let the pot pie cool and store it in an airtight glass container.
You can also prepare and keep the filling of the chicken pot pie separately, and place it in the pie at a later time. Just let the pot pie filling come to room temperature before placing between the pie crusts, and then place it in the oven.
- 2 pie crust bases
- 1 pound of boneless chicken (approx. 2-3 pieces)
- 2 cups of chopped mushrooms
- 1 chopped leek
- 1 egg
- 1 crushed garlic clove (or teaspoon of garlic powder)
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup of water (or chicken stock)
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of crème fraiche
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and chop all the vegetables.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, leeks into the instant pot, along with the cup of water, garlic, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once the countdown has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes.
- Shred the chicken into small pieces.
- Mix the flour in a bowl with a tablespoon of water so that it creates a roux. Add the roux to the Instant pot.
- Add creme fraiche into the Instant Pot, and blend the chicken pie filling on Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf from the chicken pie filling.
- Let the chicken pie filling rest for 10 minutes on the Keep Warm function.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) for 5 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large casserole dish that can go in the oven.
- Roll out the pie base in the casserole dish.
- Gently spoon the chicken pie filling on the bottom layer of the pie dough crust.
- Once all the the chicken filling is in, top with the 2nd pie crust.
- Crimp the edges of the two pie crusts together all the way around with your fingers.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg white and baste the top of the pie lightly with a pastry brush.
- Slice small slits on the top of the chicken pie.
- Place in the oven for 45-50 minutes until the top has risen and is golden brown.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 545Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 402mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 28g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other Chicken recipes:
- Chicken pie with mushrooms and leeks
- Oven baked BBQ chicken drumsticks
- Air fryer lemon pepper chicken drumsticks
- Chicken and brussels sprouts in the oven
- Air fryer chicken tikka
- Creamy chicken and asparagus
If you enjoyed that, check out our other simple Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy to make. Bon appétit!