This Recipe includes
|Fresh or frozen boneless chicken|
|Mushrooms – white button or cremini (brown) mushrooms.|
|Spinach – frozen spinach usually works better in the instant pot as fresh spinach will cook too quickly.|
|Parmesan cheese – grated parmesan cheese|
|Mozzarella cheese – shredded fresh mozzarella|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Garlic powder or crushed garlic cloves|
|Tomato marinara sauce – homemade marinara sauce or store-bought|
|Parsley – fresh or dried parsley for herb flavor|
|Basil – fresh or dried basil|
|Oregano – dried oregano|
|Bouillon stock – Liquid chicken stock or vegetable stock. You can also use a chicken stock cube along with water.|
|Olive oil to sauté the garlic|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- If using fresh spinach or mushrooms, put it in the Instant pot after the chicken finishes cooking.
- If using frozen ingredients, no need to adjust the time as the Instant pot automatically adjusts the time required.
Why we love it
Everyone loves a good Italian classic chicken parmesan. Rich and hearty, it is a wonderfully delicious meal that works in any season on any occasion. But it can be rather long to make, unless you are making it in the Instant Pot that is.
With this Instant pot chicken parmesan recipe, I can pop the ingredients into the Instant pot, and launch some rice in the rice cooker at the same time, and in less than 35 minutes dinner is on the table.
The parmesan and mozzarella cheese goes on the chicken at the end after it is cooked in the Instant pot. You can add it directly in the Instant pot and press the Sauté button (without the lid on) for a couple of minutes to let it heat.
However, I find it more convenient to move the chicken, mushrooms, and spinach to a baking casserole dish and then add the cheese on top. Then place in the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
I find this more convenient, because then I can just take the casserole out of the oven and place on the dining table, rather than the large inner pot of Instant pot. The recipe calls for marinara sauce, which you can use a homemade version or a store-bought version.
What to serve with it?
Chicken parmesan goes very well with plain rice. (I usually have my rice cooker going at the same time.) But it can also be served with sautéed garlic parsley potatoes, mashed potatoes or even tagliatelle pasta.
How to store it?
If you want to prepare it in advance, I recommend leaving the cheese off. Let the chicken, mushroom and spinach cool and place in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
When ready to eat, place in a baking casserole and top with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Then place the chicken parmesan in the oven for 5 minutes to heat.
Instant Pot Chicken parmesan with spinach and mushroom
- 3 pounds of chicken approx. 8 pieces of thigh and leg
- 1 cup of frozen spinach*
- 1 cup of frozen mushrooms*
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of marinara sauce
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil and garlic into the instant pot and sauté for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the parmesan and mozzarella), and set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 14 minutes.
- Once the countdown has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Open the Instant pot and stir.
- Move the chicken, spinach and mushroom stew to a baking dish.
- Preheat the oven for 5 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
- Cover the chicken with mozzarella and top with parmesan cheese.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve while warm.
Other Chicken recipes:
- Chicken pie with mushrooms and leeks
- Oven baked BBQ chicken drumsticks
- Air fryer lemon pepper chicken drumsticks
- Chicken and brussels sprouts in the oven
- Air fryer chicken tikka
If you enjoyed that, check out our other simple Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy to make. Bon appétit!