This Recipe includes
|Fresh or frozen boneless chicken|
|Fresh or frozen mushrooms (eg. white mushrooms or oyster mushrooms)|
|Onion – chopped or sliced white onion is preferable.|
|Carrot – chopped fresh or frozen carrots|
|Celery – chopped fresh or frozen celery|
|(Optional) Bacon lardons, chopped pieces of bacon to add a ton of flavor.|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Crushed garlic cloves or garlic powder|
|Fresh or dried parsley|
|Liquid chicken stock or cube of chicken stock with water|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
For the Béchamel sauce:
|Crème fraiche or heavy cream for the base of the sauce|
|Egg yolk to bind the béchamel sauce together|
|Butter to sear the bacon|
|Flour to thicken the sauce|
- You can use any type of mushrooms, but particular favorites are white or oyster mushrooms.
- Frozen ingredients will work in this recipe, as the Instant pot will automatically adjust its timing.
- The béchamal sauce should be added after the Instant pot finishes cooking the chicken, because otherwise the sauce will turn.
Why we love it
A creamy chicken bechamel recipe is a hearty and delicious way to warm up on a cold winter day. If you’re looking for a stew that’s packed full of flavor, this creamy chicken bechamel recipe is for you.
This creamy chicken recipe is adapted from the French blanquette de veau, which is veal. However, with the chicken being equally rich, smooth, and full of flavor, this has become a favorite in our household, and certainly easier to have on hand than veal.
Vegetables are included directly into dish, so that there is no need for a separate vegetable dish. The béchamel sauce is mixed on the side, and added into the instant pot after the chicken finishes cooking, to avoid it curdling. And with that, you have with a bowl of warm, creamy goodness, perfect for any occasion.
What to serve with it?
This creamy chicken bechamel goes quite well with mashed potatoes, as well as tagliatelle pasta.
You can also serve it with rice if you prefer, my favorite is long-grain brown rice or wild rice. It is drier and less sweet than some other accompanying dishes, and so I find it goes really well. (I usually have my rice cooker going at the same time.)
And there are many other possibilities as well such as polenta, or even bulgur.
How to store it?
If you would like to freeze the creamy chicken bechamel, I would recommend doing so before the béchamel sauce is added. This will help the chicken keep its consistency. Let the chicken cool and store it in an airtight glass container.
You can prepare the béchamel sauce separately when you wish to heat it up and eat.
Instant pot creamy chicken bechamel
- 3 pounds of chicken approx. 8 pieces of thigh and leg
- 1 cup of sliced white or oyster mushrooms
- 1 onion chopped up
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1 chopped celery branch
- 2 garlic cloves chopped up
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- Optional 6 strips of bacon sliced into small pieces
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of butter
Béchamel Cream sauce
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 20 cl of crème fraiche approx. 3/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- pinch of salt and pepper
In the Instant Pot
- Add the chicken thighs, bacon, and butter in the Instant pot and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 12 minutes.
- Once the countdown has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes.
For the Béchamel Sauce
- In a bowl, mix the flour, heavy cream, and egg yolk until it is smooth.
- Add in the salt and pepper.
- In a deep saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add in the mixture and cook at medium temperature for 2-3 minutes until it looks well-blended.
- Add mixture to the Instant pot, stirring as it is blended in.
- Press Sauté on the Instant Pot for 5 minutes (with lid open).
- Serve while warm.
Other Chicken recipes:
- Chicken pie with mushrooms and leeks
- Oven baked BBQ chicken drumsticks
- Air fryer lemon pepper chicken drumsticks
- Chicken and brussels sprouts in the oven
- Air fryer chicken tikka
If you enjoyed that, check out our other simple Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy to make. Bon appétit!