This Recipe includes
- Medium-sized potatoes – you can use any type of potatoes such as yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoes.
- Mushroom caps – white button or cremini (brown) mushrooms are the easiest to find, but you can also use oyster, button or stemmed shiitake mushrooms.
- Grated cheese – any type of grated cheese such as gruyère, emmental, or cheddar will do for a delicious potato mushroom casserole.
Spices and sauce ingredients:
- Heavy cream – crème fraîche or any sort of heavy cream. An alternative would be 1/2 cup of milk with 1/2 cup of philadelphia cream cheese.
- Butter – for flavor
- Garlic – garlic powder or flakes
- Parley – fresh parsley or chives for decoration
Why we love it
Most people love cooking, but they don’t want to be in the kitchen all day long. This recipe for potato mushroom casserole is quick and easy, but it tastes like you worked hard on it.
It is a simple casserole made from potatoes, mushrooms, cream, and a little bit of cheese. It makes for a wonderful vegetarian main or side dish for a weeknight dinner, or even when serving to guests at a buffet or potluck dinner.
The main problem with mushroom and potato gratin is that the potatoes take longer to cook than the mushrooms. As such, if you put the mushrooms in the oven at the same time as the potatoes, they will burn. Instead, I recommend putting the mushrooms in at the half-way point, in order to avoid over-cooking them.
And the best part is that you can prepare the potatoes in advance, so that when you are ready, you just have to pop it in the oven. You can boil the potatoes the night before to cut down the cooking time in the oven or cook them in the Instant pot for 8 minutes high pressure with quick release.
Once boiled, just peel them and then put them overnight in the fridge. The next day, slice the potatoes, add the mushrooms and cream sauce and put in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
1. What to serve with it?
Potato mushroom casserole is lovely with oven-roasted lemon pork cooked in its own sauce. Another alternative would be lamb or duck, or even sausages like bratwurst or chipolata.
You can however also serve it with just some bread (a baguette) and a green salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
2. Can you freeze it?
The mushrooms will retain water, so I don’t recommend freezing a potato mushroom casserole. I have kept it overnight in the fridge, but that is about the extent of it. Add more heavy cream and cheese the next day, if the mushroom and potatoes look dried out.
If you like this recipe
- 5-6 Medium-sized potatoes
- 15-20 mushroom caps
- 1 cup of crème fraîche (heavy cream). Alternative: 1/2 cup of milk with 1/2 cup of philadelphia cream cheese
- 1.5 cups of grated cheese such as gruyére, emmental, or cheddar
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- a few leaves of parley (or chives)
- Wash and peel the potatoes and chop into thin round slices.
- Grease the casserole dish and layer the sliced potatoes across.
- Cook in preheated oven for 25 minutes at 200C° (400F°).
- While waiting, mix the crème fraîche (heavy cream), butter, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Lightly wipe the mushrooms with a damp tissue paper to make sure they are clean.
- Once the 25 minutes of cooking is done, remove the casserole dish carefully from the oven and slide the mushrooms (with the caps facing up) in between the potatoes with a fork.
- Add the creamy mixture over the top of the mushroom caps and across potatoes in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
- Add a few leaves of parsley on top for decoration.
- Continue cooking in the oven for 20 minutes at 200C° (400F°) until potatoes, mushrooms, and cheese are lightly browned.
- Serve while warm.
If in a hurry, you can lightly boil the potatoes the night before to cut down the cooking time in the oven. You can also prepare it in the Instant pot for 8 minutes high pressure with quick release, peel them and then put them overnight in the fridge.
The next day, slice the potatoes, add the mushrooms and cream sauce and put in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Le Creuset Stoneware 128 Oz. Rectangular Heritage Casserole with Lid
Lipper International Durable Bamboo Over the Sink or Stove Cutting Board
Cuisinart Professional 15 Piece Cutlery Block Set
Tramontina Gourmet 3 Piece Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set
Christopher Kimball's Milk Street Traverse Power Whisk
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 994Total Fat: 70gSaturated Fat: 42gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 206mgSodium: 883mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 31g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!