This Recipe includes
|Medium-sized potatoes – any type of potatoes such as yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoes.|
|Mushrooms – white button or cremini (brown), or button mushrooms|
|Peas – fresh or frozen green peas|
|(Optional) bacon – chopped bacon or ham|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Garlic – crushed cloves garlic, but you can also use garlic powder or flakes if you are in a hurry|
|Parsley – handful of fresh parsley|
|Olive oil – to cook the garlic|
|Butter – clarified unsalted butter or duck fat|
|Salt and pepper|
Why we love it
Sarladaise potatoes are a traditional dish from the Sarlat region of France that you can’t help but fall in love with. It is one of those deeply rich and comforting dishes that you are definitely want to make enough for seconds.
To make sarladaise potatoes, you traditionally need duck fat, but as that is not the easiest ingredient to find, I’ve also made this recipe using clarified butter.
The combination of potatoes and butter melds together for a rich, satisfying flavor that the whole family is sure to love. Simply peel and slice the potatoes, and then boil them until cooked.
Once the potatoes are done, fry them in the butter or goose fat along with the peas and mushroom until everything is cooked through and crispy on the outside.
This versatile dish can be enjoyed by itself or as a side dish alongside a variety of meats, such as roast pork or roast chicken. Whether you are a seasoned cook or a novice in the kitchen, this is one dish that is going to impress.
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
These sarladaise potatoes can easily be cooked in advance and kept for at least a day or two.
If you with to freeze sarladaise potatoes, I recommend undercooking them slightly. Let them cool, and then place in an air-tight container in the freezer. When you are ready to eat them, place them back on the stove and finish cooking.
Salardaise Potatoes with mushrooms and peas
- 4-5 medium sized potatoes
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of green peas
- Optional 2-3 strips of chopped bacon or ham
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 100 g of clarified butter 1/4 cup
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- handful of minced parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Wash the potatoes and peel them if you wish.
- Clean and chop the mushrooms into small pieces
- Boil the potatoes in water over the stove for around 10 minutes and drain the water.
- Let the potatoes cool slightly and chop into 1/2 inch regular slices.
- Crush the garlic and chop any optional ingredients.
- In a large skillet or wok, sauté the garlic in oil for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes to skillet, along with the butter.
- Add the chopped parsley, salt, and pepper to the wok.
- Stir the potatoes around and cook at medium-high heat for around 20 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and the green peas to the wok and cook for another 15 minutes until or until the potatoes are golden brown and lightly crispy.
- Serve while warm.
Other potato recipes:
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic side dish recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!