This Recipe includes
- Potatoes – you can use any type of potatoes, such as baby red potatoes, fingerling potatoes, Yukon golds, baby sweet potatoes, and baby russets
- Garlic – garlic powder or flakes for the spice rub.
- Paprika – smoked paprika for a bit of heat.
- Basil – dried or fresh basil for flavor.
- Vegetable oil – any type of vegetable oil with a high smoking point like avocado, sunflower, or peanut oil. (Do not use olive oil as it has a low smoking point and will set off smoke in your air fryer.)
Why we love it
Smashed potatoes is one of those interesting ideas that someone had, that actually turned out amazingly well. The potatoes come out crispy like fries on the outside, but tender on the inside like a mashed potato.
And all this with a medley of spices to add to the flavor. It’s a surprisingly versatile side dish or snack, and is great for any occasion.
And with the air fryer, it is easier to make than ever. The only tricky part comes when smashing the potatoes (with the flat end of a glass or cup). The potatoes are smashed at the halfway point of cooking, but you want to make sure you don’t burn yourself against the hot air fryer basket.
An alternative to smashing it in the air fryer basket, is to just remove the tin foil and place it on a large plate and then smash it there. Whatever you try, remember to wear oven mitts!
Frequently asked questions
1. What to serve it with?
Air fryer sweet potatoes make a delicious and easy side dish or snack that you can serve with a main dish like lemon pork chops with mushrooms or something different like this Italian beef and spinach pizza.
2. Can you prepare it in advance?
Yes, you can prepare air fryer smashed potatoes in advance, and leave them in the fridge. When ready to eat, just put them back in the air fryer at 380°F (190°C) for 5 minutes to make them crispy again.
If you like this recipe
- 8-10 baby potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado or sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Wash the potatoes and dry them with a towel.
- Remove the basket from the air fryer and lay down a tin foil at the bottom.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for 5 minutes.
- Lay the potatoes on the tin foil and place in the air fryer for around 15 minutes. (Leave space in between, so that you can later smash them.)
- After 15 minutes, wearing oven mitts, carefully take the air fryer basket out and place on heat-resistant surface. (Remember, it is hot!)
- Keep your oven mitts on and using the bottom end of a glass, smash each potato lightly (to around 1/4in height).
- Spray lightly with oil and liberally sprinkle with the spices.
- Place them in a bowl and add the oil and spices.
- Wearing the oven mitts, add the basket with the smashed potatoes back into the air fryer for another 15 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
- Open the air fryer to see if they are crunchy enough for you, and heat them for a couple more minutes if you wish.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other delicious air fryer recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!