This Recipe includes
- Zucchini – around 3 medium-large zucchinis (courgettes)
- Cheese – any type of hard cheese that can be grated such as emmental, cheddar, gruyère, parmesan, etc.
- Vegetable oil – any type of vegetable oil with a high smoking point like avocado, sunflower, or peanut oil. (Do not use olive oil as it has a low smoking point and will set off smoke in your air fryer.)
- Garlic – garlic powder or flakes for the spice rub.
- Parsley – dried or fresh parsley for decoration.
- Basil – dried basil for flavor.
- Breadcrumbs – for a bit of crunch
Why we love it
On those days when you just want something simple and healthy, this easy zucchini and cheese dish checks all the right boxes. Just apply some spices and toss it in the air fryer and you have a delicious and nutritious side dish that even the pickiest eater will love.
My main tip when making this recipe in the air fryer would be to not add the cheese at the same time, but to wait till 5 minutes before the end. If you add the cheese too early, not only does it get burnt and brown, but the zucchini doesn’t become as crispy on the outside either.
On the inside, the zucchini will remain moist and keep its flavor, but if you want it crispier, just increase the amount of time it is in the air fryer by around 5 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
1. What to serve with it?
Air fryer zucchini and cheese makes a healthy and delicious side dish with just about anything. A couple of interesting ideas include serving them with a main dish like smoked salmon waffles or oven-roasted bbq chicken drumsticks.
2. Can you prepare it in advance?
Air fryer zucchini tends to retain a lot of water, so I don’t really recommend it. The most I would suggest is prepare it a couple of hours in advance and leaving it at room temperature.
When ready to eat, just put them back in the air fryer at 380°F (190°C) for 5 minutes to make them crispy again.
If you like this recipe
- 3 medium-large zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of grated cheese (emmental, cheddar, gruyère, parmesan, etc.)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Wash and cut the zucchinis into small quarters.
- Put the chopped zucchinis into a large bowl along with the vegetable oil.
- Toss around so that the oil lightly covers the zucchinis.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the cheese) into the bowl and mix so that the spices and breadcrumbs cover the zucchinis.
- Place in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cheese on top at the end of the 5 minutes, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until it reaches desired texture and crispiness.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other delicious air fryer recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!