This Recipe includes
|Medium-crust pizza dough – any type of short-crust pizza dough|
|Grated cheese – cheddar, gruyère, mozzarella, or emmental cheese.|
|Zucchini – fresh zucchini (courgette)|
Accents for the sauce:
|Crème fraiche (Heavy cream) – this is the base of the white sauce.|
|Garlic – garlic powder or flakes|
|(Optional) Smoked paprika – for a bit of spice|
|Salt and pepper|
- You can substitute the heavy cream with low-fat greek yogurt for a lighter version or sour cream for a vegan version.
- I like to add the cheese on top of the pizza partway through the cooking process, after the dough has partially risen, so that the cheese doesn’t burn.
Why we love it
Pizza doesn’t have to be unhealthy. With this delicious white pizza with zucchini, you can change up that old red sauce pizza routine, with a healthy new variation. It is an elegantly simple dish, with the subtlety of the creamy garlic sauce complementing the zucchinis without overpowering it.
To cook the zucchinis properly, I recommend slicing it with a mandoline slicer so that the pieces are thin enough to cook on top of the pizza.
I like to add a bit of spice to the recipe, so I suggest sprinkling a bit of paprika directly to the zucchini, but you can leave it off if you don’t enjoy spicy foods.
What to serve with it?
You can also serve can this white pizza with zucchini as a healthy lunch or dinner with a pureed vegetable soup such as homemade carrot soup. Salads are also a wonderful choice, such as a mixed green salad or a salad niçoise if you want something a little heartier.
How to store it?
You can make this white pizza with zucchini a few hours in advance and just put back in the oven or in the microwave before serving.
However, I would not recommend freezing it. Depending on the dough you use, the dough may get soggy and not taste good if it is not specifically meant to be frozen.
White pizza with zucchini
- 1 pizza crust base
- 25 cl 1 cup of crème fraiche (heavy cream)*
- 1 zucchini courgette
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 50 g of grated cheese gruyère, parmesan, cheddar, emmental, etc.
- Optional smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 410°F (210°C).
- Spread the pizza crust dough in a baking pan and lightly fold the corners to avoid sauce overflow.
- Chop the zucchini into thin slices or ribbons with a mandoline slicer, and lightly sprinkle some salt and pepper (and smoked paprika) to it.
- In a mixing bowl, mix in the cream with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder and blend well.
- Spread some of the cream mixture onto the pizza base.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes until the dough rises halfway.
- Remove from the oven, and add the zucchini and cheese.
- Place the pizza back in the oven for 15 minutes or until it looks cooked.
- Serve while warm.
Other popular pizzas:
- Ham and egg pizza
- Italian Beef and spinach pizza
- Traditional German flammkuchen
- Spanish pizza with chorizo and peppers
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!