This Recipe includes
|Zucchinis – any type of green zucchini such as black beauty or dunja zucchinis|
|Onion – white or pearl onions|
|Red or green bell peppers – for a pop of color|
|Vegetable oil – to cook the onions|
|Eggs – to bind the breadcrumbs|
|Breadcrumbs – any type of breadcrumbs, such as panko, fresh toasted, etc.|
Why we love it
For a light and healthy dish without any cheese or dairy, this delicious zucchini and red pepper casserole definitely fits the bill. It’s quick to prepare and full of flavor, with the zucchini and red peppers playing off of each other.
Instead of cheese, the casserole is topped with breadcrumbs for a bit of crunch, making it feel lighter and healthier. And with all those lovely vegetables, you know it is going to be filled with nutrients. The perfect addition to a weeknight dinner or a happy Sunday lunch.
What to serve with it?
Zucchini and red pepper bake is lovely with any sort of meat dish such oven-roasted pork ribs or air fryer lemon pepper chicken drumsticks.
You can however also serve it with just some bread (a baguette) and or a salad with bacon, goat cheese, and creamy garlic dressing.
How to store it?
The zucchinis will retain water, so I don’t recommend preparing this zucchini and red pepper bake too much in advance. I have kept it overnight in the fridge, but that is about the extent of it. Pop it back in the oven for 10 minutes at 380°F (190°C) to heat it back up.
- 3 medium-large zucchinis
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Wash and cut the zucchinis into thin slices.
- Chop the onion and red pepper into thin strips
- In a large heated pan or work, cook the onions in the oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sliced zucchinis and the red peppers into the pan and cook for around 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 430°F (220°C).
- Take the pan off the stove, and crack open the eggs into the zucchini mixture and mix it in.
- Place the zucchini mixture in a baking dish and cover with breadcrumbs.
- Place in the oven for around 20 minutes until the top layer looks golden brown.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 58Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!