This Recipe includes
|Medium-sized potatoes – you can use any type of potatoes such as yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoes.|
|Grated cheese – cheddar, gruyère, mozzarella, or emmental cheese.|
|(Optional) Onions – finely chopped white onions.|
|(Optional) Smoked ham – for a heartier casserole, you can add smoked ham. You can also add bacon, just ensure that it is lightly cooked before placing in the casserole.|
|(Optional) Spinach – fresh baby spinach or regular spinach.|
Spices and sauce ingredients:
|Heavy cream – crème fraîche or any sort of heavy cream.|
|Garlic – crushed garlic powder or flakes|
|Parley – fresh or dried parsley|
|Butter – for flavor|
|Nutmeg – pinch of freshly grated nutmeg for flavor|
- As an alternative to heavy cream, you can use 1/2 cup of milk with 1/2 cup of Philadelphia cream cheese.
- Add the cheese at the 1/2 way point of the cooking process so that the cheese does not burn.
Why we love it
There is nothing better than a hearty cheesy potato casserole recipe when you need some comfort food. This cheesy potato casserole is a variation of scalloped potatoes, taking it to the next level.
From the French recipe called gratin potatoes, this recipe includes a lovely creamy sauce like in scalloped potatoes, but adds a delicious crust of grated cheese resulting in a cheesy, more decadent dish.
You can also top it off with breadcrumbs, put small bits of ham, fresh spinach, or onions in it, to make it a full meal in itself. A quick and easy one-dish meal made in the oven for easy clean-up.
What to serve with it?
If you are serving a cheesy potatoes casserole as a side dish, you can serve it alongside oven-roasted pork, lamb or chicken. And if I am in a rush, just smoked ham works alongside, if I don’t have time to cook meat.
For a quick dinner, you can however also serve it with just some bread (a baguette) and a salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
How to store it?
I have kept this cheesy potato casserole overnight in the fridge, but that is about the extent of it. Add more heavy cream and cheese if the cheesy potatoes look dried out.
I wouldn’t really recommend freezing it however, because the cheese sauce will not survive well.
Cheesy potato casserole (au gratin)
- 5-6 medium-sized potatoes
- 15-20 mushroom caps
- 1 cup of crème fraîche heavy cream. Alternative: 1/2 cup of milk with 2 tablespoons of philadelphia cream cheese
- 1.5 cups of grated cheese such as gruyére emmental, or cheddar
- pinch of finely grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- a few leaves of parley or chives
- 2 cups 500g of smoked ham
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped onions
- 1 cup of rinsed fresh spinach
- Wash and peel the potatoes and chop into thin round slices.
- Grease the casserole dish and layer the sliced potatoes across.
- Add any optional ingredients (smoked ham, onions, etc) in between the potato slices.
- Cook in preheated oven for 25 minutes at 400F° ( 200C°).
- While waiting, mix the crème fraîche (heavy cream), butter, garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Once the 25 minutes of cooking is done, add the mixture over the top of the potatoes in the casserole.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
- Add a few leaves of parsley on top for decoration.
- Continue cooking in oven for 25 minutes at 400F° ( 200C°) until potatoes and cheese are lightly browned.
- Serve while warm.
Other potato recipes:
- Aligot (cheesy mashed potatoes)
- Potato mushroom casserole
- Sautéed garlic parsley potatoes
- Sarladaise potatoes with mushrooms and peas
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!