This Recipe includes
|Calamari – any type of squid and calamari will do in this recipe, the wings, hood and tentacles will all work well.|
|Leeks – whites and greens, split lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch lengths.|
|Asian-style noodles – any type of egg noodles or rice noodles. I’m using egg noodles.|
|Vegetable oil – any type of vegetable oil to cook the calamari and the vegetables.|
|(Optional) carrot – fresh grated carrot|
|Sesame seeds – plain or toasted sesame seeds|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Soy sauce – regular or low sodium soy sauce that is salty, not sweet.|
|Ginger – ground ginger powder for flavor|
|Brown sugar – for a touch of sweet to counteract the soy sauce|
|Garlic – garlic powder or flakes|
|Rice vinegar – for a touch of sour|
|Vegetable stock – any type of vegetable stock or broth.|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- If the squid is frozen, defrost it for about an hour beforehand.
- Don’t use the dark green parts of the leek that are too hard and stiff.
Why we love it
Stir-fried noodles are some of the most delicious and satisfying dishes you can make. They’re quick, healthy, and cost effective, and you can add whatever protein and vegetables you want to it.
And one of my favorite things to add to this recipe is calamari. It goes very well with stir-fried noodles, and feels fresh without being too heavy. If you enjoy seafood, you will definitely enjoy this dish!
Most stir-fry recipes call for spring onions, but that can make it a little too tangy if you add too much or are serving it to children.
I like to use leeks instead for that sweet onion flavor that is more mild, and also to get more veggies in the dish.
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
You can easily prepare this recipe of calamari and leek stir-fry noodles at least a few hours in advance, and leave it in the fridge in a glass container. When ready to eat, warm it back up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Calamari and leek stir fry noodles
- 500 g 1lb of calamari (squid)
- 2 cups of chopped leeks about 2-3 leeks
- 1 lb 500g of egg noodles or rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of sesame seeds
- Optional 1/2 grated carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce low-sodium
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- In a large pot, cook the noodles according to package instructions.
- Once the noodles have been cooked, drain the water.
- Cut the leeks lengthwise and then chop into approximately 1/2 inch pieces.
- Wash the pieces of the leeks and clean off any dirt.
- In another small bowl, mix the ingredients for the sauce and add the calamari in to marinate for around 15-30 minutes. (Reserve the marinade for later.)
- In a large wok or saucepan, cook the calamari at medium heat for 4 minutes with the vegetable oil.
- Move the calamari to a separate plate.
- Add the leeks and (optional) carrots to the wok and cook along with the rest of the marinade until softened.
- Add the calamari and the noodles back into the wok and mix throughly until the sauces cover everything.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve while warm.
Other Seafood recipes
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!