This Recipe includes
|Chicken – you can use any type of fresh chicken, but I’m using drumsticks in this recipe.|
|BBQ sauce – you can use any type of bbq sauce you have.|
|Soy sauce – soy sauce, or tamari sauce for gluten-free|
|Garlic powder or flakes for the spice rub|
|Red chilli powder – for that lovely red color|
|Onion flakes or powder – to reduce the sweetness|
|Fresh or dried coriander, also known as cilantro|
|Dried basil – for flavor|
|(Optional) Cayenne pepper – if you like a mildly spicy flavor|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- If using frozen chicken, let it thaw for at least 45 minutes beforehand.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F (180°C) before cooking the chicken. This helps to ensure that the chicken cooks evenly and becomes crispy on the outside.
- I like Kraft Hickory Smoke Barbecue Sauce or any type of BBQ Sauce which is less sweet, but it really comes down to personal preference.
Why we love it
There is something about chicken drumsticks that puts people in their happy place. Bringing back that “kid” feeling, there’s just something about picking up a juicy drumstick and biting into it.
These delicious bbq drumsticks are versatile enough to go from a weeknight dinner to a backyard picnic, and more. Just spice up the drumsticks and put them in the air fryer.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can check out my oven-baked bbq chicken recipe with green beans here.
The key to making bbq drumsticks is to baste the bbq sauce onto the chicken towards the end of the cooking process. If you put the sauce too early, it will overcook and burn while the chicken is cooking.
A sticky and juicy piece of chicken, it is a foolproof, sumptuous meal that is suitable for any occasion.
What to serve with it?
How to store it?
These air fryer bbq chicken drumsticks can be prepared in advance, and can be eaten both cold or warm. Keep everything in airtight glass containers until ready to eat.
- 6-8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup of bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the spices together (excluding the BBQ sauce).
- Add the chicken into the bowl and rub each one generously with the spice mixture.
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to allow it to marinate.
- When ready to cook, preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 360°F (180°C).
- Place the chicken in a air fryer tray and cook for 15 minutes, flipping the chicken over every 8 minutes or so.
- Take the tray out of the oven, and carefully baste the chicken with bbq sauce using a spoon to rub it in.
- Place the baking tray back in the oven and cook for another 7 minutes.
- Open the air fryer to see if the bbq drumsticks are crispy enough for you, and heat them for a couple more minutes if you wish.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 231mgSodium: 1400mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 45g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other Chicken recipes:
- Chicken pie with mushrooms and leeks
- Oven baked BBQ chicken drumsticks
- Instant pot sun-dried tomato chicken stew
- Chicken and brussels sprouts in the oven
- Instant pot chicken and mushroom coconut curry
If you enjoyed that, check out our other delicious air fryer recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!