This Recipe includes
|Squid – any type of squid and calamari will do in this recipe, the wings, hood and tentacles will all work well.|
|Parmesan – fresh grated parmesan cheese.|
|Vegetable oil with a high smoking point like avocado, sunflower, or peanut oil.|
|Eggs – to bind the breadcrumbs|
|Flour – to coat the fish for a crunchy flavor.|
|Breadcrumbs – any type of breadcrumbs, such as panko, fresh toasted, etc.|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Lemons – fresh yellow lemon for juice.|
|Garlic powder or flakes for the spice rub|
|Onion flakes or powder|
|(Optional) Smoked paprika powder|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- If the squid is frozen, defrost for about an hour beforehand.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F (180°C) before cooking the parmesan calamari. This helps to ensure that the breadcrumbs layer cooks evenly and becomes crispy on the outside.
Why we love it
If you love the taste of breaded calamari, but are looking for something healthier than the store-bought variety, you are gonna love this parmesan calamari. Cooked in the air fryer with minimal oil, it is an delicious and easy appetizer or main dish that everyone is going to love.
What to serve with it?
If you are serving these parmesan calamari as a starter, consider serving it as a topping on a mixed green salad. For a main dish, consider a mushroom risotto or a creamy pesto pasta to complement the squid.
How to store it?
If you want to store some leftovers, these air fryer parmesan calamari can easily be kept for at least a few days. Just let it cool, and then place in an airtight glass container before placing in the fridge or freezer.
- 1 lb calamari rings (450g)
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1-2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 lemon for decoration
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Lay the calamari out on a paper towel and pat them dry.
- Create a breading station for the squid with 3 bowls.
- In the 1st bowl add the flour.
- In the 2nd bowl whisk together the egg with the salt and pepper.
- In the 3rd bowl add the breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic powder, onion powder, and optional spices.
- First dip the calamari in the flour, then dip in the egg mixture, and finally dip in the breadcrumbs and parmesan mix.
- Spray the oil in your air fryer basket and preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Spread the calamari into the air fryer basket and set the time to 4-6 minutes.
- Open the air fryer to see if they are crispy enough for you, and heat them for a couple more minutes if you wish.
- Decorate with a slice of lemon and serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 584Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 256mgSodium: 580mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 25g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other seafood recipes:
- Baked scallops with parsley and garlic
- Sautéed Squid with lemon and garlic
- Seafood vermicelli noodle bowl
If you enjoyed that, check out our other delicious air fryer recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!