This Recipe includes
|Brie cheese wheel|
|puff pastry crust dough|
Optional Savory ingredients
|Pesto sauce (homemade or store-bought)|
|Fresh herbs (thyme, basic, and rosemary)|
Optional Sweet ingredients
Why we love it
While we always love a good gooey cheese appetizer, this baked brie wrapped in a puff pastry takes it to a whole other level. It is an appetizer designed to impress!
The surprise in the middle is of course the French cheese known as brie, but it is also the flaky puff pastry that can be used to scoop up all that creamy cheese.
You can serve it with baguette and toasted bread, but it is the crispy puff pastry that really makes it feel like comfort food. The combination of warm, melted brie cheese and puff pastry creates a perfect balance of flavor and texture.
This dish is also very versatile and can be served with a variety of accompaniments, from fruit and crackers to nuts and wine. There are all sorts of optional ingredients that you can use inside the brie cheese, to take it to a whole other level.
From spicy chilli flakes to sweet fig jam, you can adapt it to your own taste. (I’m using fig jam in my version.).
Whether you are looking for a snack, hosting a dinner party or just want to enjoy a special treat with family and friends, this dish is sure to tantalize your taste buds!
What to serve with it?
This baked brie in a puff pastry makes for wonderful finger food at a dinner party or happy hour party.
You can serve it along side other finger foods like this delicious savory vegetable cake or a charcuterie and cheese platter.
Can you prepare it in advance?
Baked brie in a puff pastry is a dish that is best cooked right before serving. But you can prepare the pastry, cheese and toppings in advance.
Just keep it in the fridge and put it in the oven about 35 minutes before you are ready to serve.
French baked brie in puff pastry
- 1 brie cheese wheel
- 1 puff pastry crust dough
- 1 egg
Optional Sweet Toppings
- fig jam
- cranberry sauce
- raspberry jam
Optional Savory Toppings
- fresh herbs thyme, basic, and rosemary
- pesto sauce
- chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 200°C /400°F.
- Remove the plastic and paper packaging and place the brie cheese in a plate.
- With a knife, cut the brie horizontally into two halves.
- Add the toppings onto one side of the brie cheese, and cover with the other half of the brie, like a sandwich.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg with one tablespoon of water to make an eggwash.
- Roll out the puff pastry dough onto a large baking tray.
- Place the brie wheel in the middle of the puff pastry dough.
- Wrap the puff pastry dough over the dough, folding the corners so that they cover the brie entirely.
- Brush the eggwash onto the outside of the puff pastry for a golden brown crust.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 35 minutes or until the puff pastry looks nice and golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve with crackers or bread.
Other appetizer recipes
- Pork belly bites on gyro
- French deviled eggs
- Fresh Chicken Spring rolls
- Air fryer loaded nachos
- Greek-style cucumber bites
If you enjoyed that, check out our other classic starters and appetizers. Bon appétit!