This Recipe includes
|Beef steak – any type of cut of beef such as flank steak, sirloin, or filet.|
|Vegetable oil with a high smoking point like avocado, sunflower, or peanut oil.|
|Cornstarch – any type of cornstarch (maize starch) to coat the beef. You can also use all-purpose flour in a pinch.|
Spices and flavoring for the sauce:
|Soy sauce – low-sodium soy sauce to control the amount of salt|
|Ginger – ground ginger powder for flavor|
|Rice vinegar – for a touch of sour|
|Brown sugar – for a touch of sweet to counteract the soy sauce|
|Sesame seeds – plain or toasted sesame seeds|
|Garlic – garlic powder or garlic flakes|
|(Optional) Spring onions – the green part of a spring onion, chopped and served on top.|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
Type of beef
You can use any type of cut of beef such as flank steak, sirloin, or even filet which is a finer and more expensive cut of beef. I do like to use fresh cuts of meat from the butcher for this recipe, as the beef is very much the star of the dish.
Why we love it
Mongolian beef is one of those Asian-inspired dishes that has taken over American cuisine. These delicious strips of beef are coated in a thick soy-flavored sauce and usually stirfried for oodles of flavor.
But if you don’t have time to watch over your stove for 20 minutes or so, try popping them in the air fryer. They come out beautifully brown and juicy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Now, the sauce does need a bit of cooking on the stove top, since the air fryer has never been known to make good stews or sauces. But it is only 1-2 minutes for the soy to meld with the sugar and blend together, compared to the amount of time it would take for the beef to stir fry.
Other than that, my main tip would be to cut the beef across the grain using a sharp knife for easier meat preparation. Cut the beef into 1/4 inch slices, so that it is neither too thick or too thin. And it is just as easy as that!
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C) before cooking the steak.
- It is better to watch carefully and underestimate the time required to cook the steak, and then tack on a minute at the end, rather than to overcook the steak.
- Do not use sweet soy sauce, but rather salty or low-sodium soy sauce. Otherwise the peanut sauce will have quite a different taste!
What to serve with it?
This delicious air fryer Mongolian beef recipe is usually served with plain side like this white or brown rice. (I often have my rice cooker on at the same time.)
How to store it?
You can easily prepare this air fryer Mongolian beef at least a few hours in advance, and leave it in the fridge in a glass container. When ready to eat, warm it back up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or in the air fryer for 5 minutes at 360°F (190°C).
- 500g (1lb) of beef (flank steak)
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (avocado or sunflower oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce (low-sodium)
- 1/2 cup of water
- (Optional) handful of chopped spring onions
- Cut the steak into thin strips.
- Place the steak in a bowl and cover with the cornstarch, removing any excess.
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
- Spray the air fryer basket with some vegetable oil.
- Place the beef steak in the air fryer basket for 4 minutes*, shaking and rotating them every 2 minutes or so that the juices and oils cover the beef.
- In a small sauce pan at medium heat, cook the ingredients for the sauce for about 5 minutes (except the sesame seeds and spring onions). Mix the sauce throughly.
- Open the air fryer to see if they are cooked enough for you, and heat them for a couple more minutes if you wish.
- Place the steak in a bowl and cover with the sauce.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and spring onions.
- Serve while warm.
* Adjust the timing of the air fryer depending on how you want your steak cooked.
- If you want medium-rare, cook for 2 minutes.
- For medium, cook for 3 minutes.
- For medium-well, cook for 4 minutes.
- For well done, cook for 5 minutes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 29g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
Other beef recipes
If you enjoyed that, check out our other delicious air fryer recipes that you can make easily. Bon appétit!