This Recipe includes
|Lamb – fresh cuts of lamb. Boneless lamb works best, but you can also use boned lamb chops.|
|Frozen or fresh spinach|
|Onion, white onion is preferable.|
|Coconut milk (can substitute with heavy cream or yogurt)|
|Tomato coulis or tomato paste for that tangy flavor.|
|Butter – plain unsalted or semi-salted butter|
|Lemon – to cut into quarters and serve alongside the dish.|
Spices and flavoring ingredients:
|Garlic powder or crushed garlic cloves|
|Red chili powder for that lovely red color|
|Dried coriander; you can use fresh coriander (cilantro) as well.|
|Turmeric, traditional ingredient for flavor|
|Ground cumin for a bit of spiciness|
|Garam masala for more spiciness (garam means warm, and masala means spice)|
|Ground ginger for a bit of a bite|
|Olive oil to sauté the garlic and ginger|
|Pinch of salt and pepper|
- Frozen spinach usually works better in the Instant pot to cook at the same rate as the lamb. But you can use fresh spinach as well, it just will probably melt into the sauce.
- The traditional lamb makhani recipe uses coconut milk, but you can substitute for heavy cream or plain yogurt. You can also use greek yogurt for a lower fat substitution.
- Be sure to add the coconut milk/cream/yogurt after the Instant pot finishes cooking the lamb, otherwise the lamb makhani will curdle.
Why we love it
If you’re looking for an authentic Indian recipe that is a bit different, lamb makhani is a great choice. The recipe is simple and requires just a few ingredients added into the Instant Pot
It is similar to the chicken makhani (aka butter chicken), but the red meat from the lamb adds a whole different flavor and dimension to the dish.
And with the Instant pot, it is quick and easy. In 35 minutes or less, you will have a delicious dish that will have you feeling like you’ve stepped into an Indian restaurant.
What to serve with it?
In India, lamb makhani is usually served with plain white rice or naan. (I usually have my rice cooker going at the same time.)
As a starter or appetizer, you can serve it with some samosas, chicken tikka, or a light salad.
How to store it?
Lamb makhani can be frozen and stored for up to a month. Just let it cool before placing in an airtight glass container, before placing in the freezer.
- 2 pounds of lamb (3-4 large boneless cuts, chopped into pieces)
- 1 cup of frozen spinach
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 3/4 cup of tomato coulis or 1/2 cup of tomato paste
- 1 large onion, sliced or chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons of red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 lemon (to cut into quarters and serve along side)
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil, garlic and ginger into the instant pot and sauté for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the coconut milk and lemon), and set the Instant Pot to High Pressure for 14 minutes.
- Once the countdown has finished, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Open the Instant pot and stir in the coconut milk.
- Press the Sauté button again for 5 minutes to let the sauce thicken.
- Let the lamb makhani rest for 10 minutes on the Keep Warm function.
- Taste to add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Slice the lemon into quarters and serve along side the lamb makhani dish.
- Serve while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 824Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 262mgSodium: 320mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 70g
Note: We are not certified nutritionists and these estimates are approximate. Each individual’s dietary needs and restrictions are unique to the individual. You are ultimately responsible for all decisions pertaining to your health. This website is written and produced for entertainment purposes only.
If you enjoyed that, check out our other simple Instant pot recipes that are quick and easy to make. Bon appétit!